Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure (PICS) <fixed it>

After a H/C swap, including DR timing chain and TSP LS6 pump, I have zero oil pressure at idle. I get plenty of pressure with throttle. I swapped the oil pressure sending unit, it didnt change anything. Took the timing cover off and saw oil pooled up where it probably should not. Oil on the cam window shelf on the right side (see pic with arrows) makes me believe that oil is getting out of the pump an spraying in there.

Im taking the LS6 pump out, checking the spacers, replacing the o-ring again, (its not pinched now), and probably putting the stock pump back on.

Anyone think the extra oil there is suspicious? Anyone else had zero oil press. at idle, but great pressure with throttle? I hope my pick-up tube isnt AFU...

-G
Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure (PICS)-dscf0137.2.jpg  

Last edited by lowprofile; 09-14-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Launching!

So I think maybe the pump spacer with the oil passage and pump need to be resurfaced to ensure a good seal (along with a light coat of sealant), or maybe the oil pump cover might be leaking, I took it off to install it and check the o-ring. Maybe I should put a light coat of sealant on that, too?

Im surprised no one else has seen this type of pressure problem before?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

I don't think the pooling oil is suspicious.....The chain will throw oil everywhere.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Launching!

You may be right, but Im reaching here. My engine is apart again, and I have no solid fix for this, so I dont feel comfortable putting it back together untill Ive explored all my options, or until I talk to someone with a similar problem and a fix...

-G
Old 09-12-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just installed the same with my cam swap and my oil preasure is great all the way around. I do think you have a problem. If you get almost no oil preassure at idle. During cold start up my pressure is way pass the halfway mark (I can't remmember what the numbers are) I would suggest may be you call TSP and see what they say.

BTW, I would not run the engine or rev it is you got 0 pressure at idle.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Ive also helped friends install this same set up with no problems.
I dropped TSP an email, I just wasnt so sure this was a pump problem.

I know not to run a ZERO oil psi engine. Thats why its ripped apart now. The psi does not drop to zero untill it reaches temp. When I saw the needle slowly drop, I revved it to see if it had pressure at all, and it does. Something is not allowing it to handle low rpm oil flow.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the pressure with a secondary gauge. Or try a new sensor first.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Yeah, I put in a new $60 pressure switch, made no diff. I'm at the point of checking the pump, and spacers for any evidence of leakage... Ive already done the easy stuff...
Old 09-12-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

pickup screen?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Hope not...but yeah thats possible. It might just be skimming from the top. I did drop the pan a little for the oil pump install... but im not sure if ive convinced myself to drop the cross-member to check that yet... good suggestion.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Pinched o-ring on the pick-up tube? Like above check the screen as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

The block and cover are machine fits, I wouldn't think that's your problem. 9 times out of 10 it's the O ring - are you absolutely certain it's in there properly?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

dissassemble the oil pump and install it on the motor in pieces. first you install just the shell. that way you can see if the o ring is in there perfect.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lowprofile
Hope not...but yeah thats possible. It might just be skimming from the top. I did drop the pan a little for the oil pump install... but im not sure if ive convinced myself to drop the cross-member to check that yet... good suggestion.
If the pickup is indeed skimming off the top like you suspect, couldn't you just temporarily overfill it to see if it the pressure picks up at idle?? (it sure beats pulling the pan/crossmember) Also, you could have someone you trust start it while you're watching the pump (with the front cover off) to see if there are any visible leaks.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:24 AM
Staging Lane

change the pump
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Heres an update. The new pump (TSP LS6) looked fine when I took it off and back apart (I dissasembled it to install it the first time to see the o-ring was not pinched) But the spacers had burs in them from drilling the mount holes bigger to fit properly. I will sand those down with fine sandpaper, and just for fun Im gonna put the stock pump back on. Its only got 20,000 miles anyway. As long as the dealer got my new crank bolt in today ill have together tonight and well see what happens...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Good Luck,

Hope it works out for you.

Ryan
Old 09-13-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres an update. The new pump (TSP LS6) looked fine when I took it off and back apart (I dissasembled it to install it the first time to see the o-ring was not pinched) But the spacers had burs in them from drilling the mount holes bigger to fit properly. I will sand those down with fine sandpaper, and just for fun Im gonna put the stock pump back on. Its only got 20,000 miles anyway. As long as the dealer got my new crank bolt in today ill have together tonight and well see what happens...

its say thats your prob.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Excellent news, keep us posted.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

fyi it is possible to get a defective pump. if the stock one works, then id still have the TSP replaced and installed. H/C setups are better to have ported pumps.
My TSP pump works just fine from day 1