Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12 seconds?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 12:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 12 seconds?

Fri night my best run (e.t. and trap speed) was 13.260 @ 108.96mph. Traction is an issue with my factory 245/50/16 tires so i have to baby my launches. I got some used e.t. streets i plan to use this weekend so my question here is what kind of time will i run given the tires hook?

I would think that with a 108+ mph trap speed it would be worth at least 12.8's maybe? I also installed my ftra today maybe that will be worth another tenth or two.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tacklebox
Fri night my best run (e.t. and trap speed) was 13.260 @ 108.96mph. Traction is an issue with my factory 245/50/16 tires so i have to baby my launches. I got some used e.t. streets i plan to use this weekend so my question here is what kind of time will i run given the tires hook?

I would think that with a 108+ mph trap speed it would be worth at least 12.8's maybe? I also installed my ftra today maybe that will be worth another tenth or two.
First, glad to see you back from the desert. Thanks for your service to USA.

As for your Q. it sounds like you have the HP to get into the high 12 second range with some traction. Problem being, you have an M6 and with ET streets
you can easily break things in your stock rear end. I have always run autos on the strip, but from what people say about the launch with a stock rear end, you will need to avoid doing any high RPM clutch dumps. When you get out there, drive around the water box and back into it. . . do about a two second burnout and warm up those tires until you see white smoke if possible. Hard to do a decent burnout without a line lock, but do the best you can to get some smoke. When you get up to the lights and stage, you will have to use some "finesse" with your launch and try to leave with enough RPM so as not to bog, but slip the clutch enough to keep from shocking the gears and U-Joints too hard. This is something you will have to practice doing, and will have to "feel" your way through it a few times to get the right combination down. Sticky tires & VHT on a track with an M6 can be a recipe for disaster on the weak *** stock gears in the rear. Lots of guys have stories to tell about getting towed home from the track the first time they used sticky tires with an M6 and a stock rearend.

Just be conservative with the way you launch, because you might have enough traction to break things if you just wind it up to 5K and dump the clutch. Practice finding a happy medium to not bog, but to get off the line without burning up your clutch either. If you plan to continue drag racing with ET streets or even good DRs, it would be wise to save up for either a 12 bolt or a 9" rearend. Good luck. Hope you hit the 12's.

Last edited by ChevyGoldfinger; 09-12-2006 at 07:58 PM.