Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

car shudders at takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car shudders at takeoff

i just got my car yesterday....and im trying to get it running tip top before i start modding it, so here goes....(ill also post in rear end section)

while pulling off from a stop, the car seems to shudder, shake, whatever you want to call it. this goes away as soon as the car gets going. its not like its about to die (i give it enough gas), it just seems kind of like a loose tranny mount or something wrong with the tranny or rear end.

anybody have any information that can help me out here? thanks in advance..
Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

what clutch does it have? sounds like chatter to me. if its an aftermarket clutch, then thats just how it is.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

well, i just got it, so i cant be positive, but considering all things else on the car are stock, i can only imagine that its the stock clutch. and its got a pretty long throw on it so that would be my best guess. it is pretty stiff however...

Last edited by djfargot; 09-12-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

It does sound like chatter which usually comes from an aftermarket clutch. If you're feeling it in the back of the car, that's something else. Could be a tranny mount or torque arm bushing.
As for the shifts being long, that won't necessarily mean that the clutch is stock. The length of the gear throw is dependent on your actual shifter...not the clutch.

Where exactly is the noise or shudder coming from? Where on the car?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

by throw i meant length from fully disengaged to fully engaged clutch. bad terminology, i know .....

its really hard to tell where the shudder is coming from....it shakes pretty much the whole car. imagine you are launching a FWD car (oh no) and you get wheel hop....that is what it feels like (maybe not that dramatic). i have noticed, however, that when you let the clutch out and the engine has to do even the slightest engine braking, when the clutch engages there is a vibration that comes from the rear of the car. i dont know if these are related, just thought i would throw that in there.

i really dont think it is chatter, but if it is, i will be getting a new clutch, because it is ridiculous.

Last edited by djfargot; 09-12-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure it's the clutch if you just got it. My brothers car did that for about the first 1k miles.
-Ivan
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Did the car sit in the previous owner's garage for few months? Mine did and I had terrible shatter starting from a dig. I would have to rev it up to 2k at least to avoid it. I got my flywheel resurfaced and it's 95% gone. Try starting in 2nd gear, I remember I had no chatter then.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

How many miles on the clutch? Pressure plate and flywheel could be causing the chatter due to wear and hot spots. If the peddal seems pretty firm (more so than stock) then maybe you have an aftermarket clutch in there, which a lot of agressive clutches have chatter.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

a co-worker suggested that maybe my pilot bearing/bushing is bad? if this is the case (however unfortunate), i do believe i will be dropping the tranny, replacing the entire clutch system and getting my flywheel resurfaced.

i think the car might have sat for a good while before i bought it....so i will try to take off in second and see if it chatters then.

unfortunately, i dont know what a stock clutch feels like (if mine is not)....its the first ls1 ive driven. and this car is not even comparable to my previous v6 5 speed....its definately hella lot harder to drive.

thanks for the info, keep it coming.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:49 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Does it make noise when the car is in gear with the clutch disengaged, like a whirrring sound?
Old 09-14-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coy
Does it make noise when the car is in gear with the clutch disengaged, like a whirrring sound?
I got the whirring sound, when in netrual it till turns the input shaft to the transmission, I get the whirring, dip the clutch and the whirring goes.

I have a new clutch a Spec Stage II clutch, always had the chatter, and i whitnessed the intall and all looked to go in fine. Perhaps your car has a replacement clutch, I got my car with 86K miles on it, changed the clutch at 120K miles, so I know my clutch done over 34K, which I beleive it good for this sort of car. So perhaps it was time yours had a new one, and its just your new one bedding in.....
Old 09-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

with the clutch in and the car in gear, i cant notice anything out of the ordinary. if there is any whirring, it is nothing that i have heard....

i have been trying to not keep the clutch disengaged while in gear par the advice i received from somebody on here....just to be safe
Old 09-14-2006, 01:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a dealer replace the clutch in my car early on (under warranty) and they did not align it properly and it practically shook the car apart starting out in first gear! Once rolling it was fine, but starting in first or reverse was terrible. I drove that for the weekend as I picked up the car on Friday and promptly returned in Monday and had words with the service dept. They replaced it again and made sure it was aligned and no problems with that one.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I installed a spec stage 1 and noticed my car does the same thing but it seems to come and go. I havent been able to track it down.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

I dont mean to take over this thread but im curious as to what the problem might be.

i just installed the LS7 clutch on my 98 TA about a month or so and i already have 1600 mi on it. and im having the same problem with mine. This problem just started happening about 2 weeks ago.

did any of you have a clank like sound after turning of the car?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

mine had the chatter a few weeks ago. ive had the car since march, and it didnt do it back than. it sat in the previous owner's garage for a few months also. after i installed my lcas the car feels solid leaving stops. i dont even have to rev to come out, just let the clutch up enough to get it going then all the way out.

but i still need a new trans mount and tq arm.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Teching In

oil or dirt on the flywheel and clutch will cause chatter. i had a leaking slave cylinder that got on the flywheel and caused chatter. i had the flywheel machined and replaced the slave. no chatter at all.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

Not to steal the thread but I know what you are going through. When I bought my car would shake when letting out the clutch. I have to feature the gas when leaving. I was told the clutch was replaced (with a stock one) and the flywheel was resurfaced. I bleed the system with the minivac and it went away a little but now its back. Also after driving my car for awhile the clutch seems to engage further back in first then when I first started it up. Is there any suggestions to what might be going on with the clutch and why it does this?
-Thanks Brandon
Old 07-11-2022, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bastien
Did the car sit in the previous owner's garage for few months? Mine did and I had terrible shatter starting from a dig. I would have to rev it up to 2k at least to avoid it. I got my flywheel resurfaced and it's 95% gone. Try starting in 2nd gear, I remember I had no chatter then.
What about if there is a shudder starting in 2nd? I've noticed shudder when starting car up and thought it was weird but didn't think anything about it. 3rd gear been giving some issues, and trying to figure out what's going on, 3rd is hard to go into gear, and when under pressure it seems to be when it struggles, thought it has happened outside of getting on it. Was hoping it wasn't the transmission itself hoping it would be the clutch, or a synchronizer, or worn-out or whatever.
thank you tocanyone who gives me feedback ! 😊
Old 07-11-2022, 11:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Super old thread... and that was some pretty poor advice. The chatter would be when the clutch is grabbing hard when the car isn't hardly moving. This can be overcome by slipping the clutch more or leaving hard. It would chatter in 1st or 2nd if you start from a stop and don't slip a lot. The 3rd gear issue could be weak hydraulics. Meaning the clutch isn't fully disengaging which makes it hard to get into gear especially when you try to shift at redline. This could be from air, old fluid or worn out parts. You could certainly also have syncros that are worn out. Pretty impossible to diagnose online. If it has a lot of miles and/or had a hard life the trans likely needs to be rebuilt.

Quick Reply: car shudders at takeoff