Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Did I go overboard?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I go overboard?

My clutch has stuck to the floor about three times. I have 52,000 miles on my car. I did do a search and decide to replace:

the clutch

master cylinder

slave cylinder

pilot bearing

and the flywheel.

However, after buying all of these parts, my car runs fine. I have also read a few threads where some people have said that the slave cylinder, the master cylinder are all that need to be replaced and that system need to be bled. Did I bleed my pocket book needlessly? Should I just replace everything and add DOT 4 fluid and call it a day? Your responses are welcomed.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

its best to do it in steps. bleed, master, slave, clutch&fly. i say master first cause you dont have to pull the tranny.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Launching!

if you have it all you might as well use it but if your wanting to try something try replaceing the master cylinder first it fixed mine and my car was doing the same thing
Old 09-13-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The stupid thing stuck again today briefly. I just to not want to spend the money on the labor and lose the use of my car for a day or two. How long does the stock clutch last anyway?
Old 09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
TECH Resident

I think the drill mod might fix it but I would replace the master when doing this.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your hydraulics are probably wearing out and the pedal goes soft when things heat up. My car did it at 38k and now at 80k it is at it again. I have been bleeding the system like once a week to keep it driveable (replacing fluid in the reservoir too) but it still feels soft at times.

Minimally you need the master and slave. Do the drill mod while the parts are out. If your clutch is worn, it won't hurt to replace that too. And if you would prefer to bleed your system normally, install one of those bleeder extensions that allows you to actually access the bleeder. That is my plan for the near future.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Get the upgraded hydraulics from Speed Inc. I 100% GUARANTEE it will solve your problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, if you can afford it, why not replace everything?

You're gonna have to drop the tranny to get to the slave, if you do that, you might as well put a new clutch and flywheel in to save yourself from doing it later.

I ended up replacing all those parts to fix my hydrolic issues, and I did it piece by piece. It sucked *****. Dropping the tranny time after time gets old. Even after replacing all of that, it didnt solve the problem. I had to replace the input shaft on the tranny. That was a dealer mistake though.

If you cant afford to replace everything, at once, start with the master and slave.

Also, since you have headers, the problem could be heat induced. I went through that problem too, with the headers boiling the fluid out of the hydrolic line.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you are right. I am going to get it all done. How many more miles can the clutch last after all? I already have the parts as well. LS1 speed has great prices and it great dealing with Tom but I doubt that they could match the price that I paid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did I go overboard?