Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running horrible after LT install HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Car running horrible after LT install HELP???

Just finished a set of Hooker Super Comps in my 98 Z28 and now a new set of problems show up...

Car runs erratically wants to rev high to close to 2000 RPM then drop down to close to 600 RPM then idles at 900-1000. Any reason why?

Just replaced the plugs with TR-55's with out of the box gapping. Also I spliced the wires myself and made my own extensions could this contribute to the problem?

Will this cure itself once my Duals with bullets go on?

Lots of backfire on heavy acceleration, is this due to the car running rich?

Would the cheap free loaner scanner from Autozone help me pull the correct codes to be able to see whats going on?

Overall the car feels awkward with a dramatic amount of powerloss throughout all RPM... Please help car is undrivable any imput is helpful

(already went back and made sure all plug wires are connected completely)

Car sounds completely F***** badass open header though
Old 09-15-2006, 07:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by james562
.....Lots of backfire on heavy acceleration, is this due to the car running rich?......
My car backfires and runs rich when an O2 sensor came unplugged, although it was mainly on deceleration. You said you made your own wires/extensions, not sure if you meant plug wires or O2 extensions, but I'd suspect these.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

This may just be obvious but check and make sure your spark plug wires are pushed on enough. I got over eager to test out the headers when I put mine on and failed to push one of the plug wires on enough. I would also take the 2 O2 sensors you aren't using and make new extensions on them and see if they work better.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to rewire up a set of O2 extensions. I'll let you know if that helps...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Check your EGR tube/O-Ring that goes into the top of the manifold at the front...that will cause erratic behavoir if not connected right./cracked plugs/wires not on tight--you can hear them 'click' when on properly...

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 09-15-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe one one said this yet. You said you just put the plugs in? Mine were all over the place when I got mine. Take em' out and gap em' to .50!!! Its a piece of cake man. The gapping tool is maybe a dollar usually at the check out at parts stores.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Check your EGR tube/O-Ring that goes into the top of the manifold at the front...that will cause erratic behavoir if not connected right./cracked plugs/wires not on tight--you can hear them 'click' when on properly...
If you have a vacum leak it will cause the irregular reving
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've taken off my brake booster vacuum just to hear it idle and lope real hard with open headers. when I do that to mine, it doesn't wanna stay running till I play with it. So my experiece with leaks is that they don't idle high, but i've heard its probably true too.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
If you have a vacum leak it will cause the irregular reving
for sure----I went through that problem already..new o-ring = 7 bucks.[approx canadian]