Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo Help! Feeling very humble right now

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Help! Feeling very humble right now

I've got to admit I'm a little humbled here. After 20+ yrs of working on cars and building hot rods, I'm a little stumped here. When it comes to N/A cars w/nitrous or without I'm fine. Done a few supercharged in my day but never a turbo V8. Search is down and I don't know what else to do. I'm very close to finishing my build and have a few concerns.

1) My turbo is a Garrett T76 with a 1.08 A/R T6 flange housing. It's a TV series but not sure which one. I think it is going to be way too big for what I want. I'm told it is the one most upgrade to a T88.

2) This is going to be a street car ONLY! No drag strip ever. I really want it to spool around 3000rpm. When I read replies I don't know if they are talking about starting to spool at 3000rpms or full boost by 3000 rpms. I'm only going to run 7.5 psi.

3) I have a TR 227 cam and am thinking of some 317 heads but may just stay completley stock. I do already have a Edlebrock Victor Jr.,and FAST 90TB.

Just really need to know what I should do to be able to start spooling before 3000rpm's and have 7-8lb's by 3500 rpm's. 550-600 rwhp is fine by me.

Please help as I'm thinking of selling my turbo and going smaller.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:11 PM
9 Second Club

sounds like you want a T4 framed T76.....
Old 09-15-2006, 09:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, a TC76, PTE76GS, or ITS 76 will do the job.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

bird of prey i told u to get a t4 flange turbo with like a .96 or 1.01 ar remember
Old 09-16-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go big or Go home...

I agree with Dr. Turbo
Old 09-16-2006, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats a Big A/R you got there... Id go smaller if you want to build boost by 3k
Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Smearin
Thats a Big A/R you got there... Id go smaller if you want to build boost by 3k
alittle smaller but not much should give you what you want
Old 09-16-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
bird of prey i told u to get a t4 flange turbo with like a .96 or 1.01 ar remember
Yes and no. I had alot of people tell me many different things. I was under the impression that I could get a different exhaust housing but Jose told me in an email that I didn't have any options for a T4 or a smaller A/R for this turbine wheel. I guess I'm either going to sell it or trade it for a smaller one.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:29 AM
Launching!

any reason not to give it a whirl before you trade it in? I know a few people who run the TV series on LTx cars with a great deal of luck.. I don't see 7.5 psi being a problem by 3500rpm on your setup with that turbo. it will also not drop opff nearly as much up top with that larger turbine wheel. I would say give it a shot and if it doesn't suit you then trade it in.. better then wasting money at this point to find it may have worked.. especially if it is going to be a street car.

if you plan on roll ons, you will see spool faster from rolls in 2nd and especially 3rd gear. and it will have more of a sledge hammer hand of god pushing you feeling when it comes online. less back pressure in the exhaust pre turbo = more top end pull and power as well.

just my suggestion!

Chris
Old 09-17-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

a lot of tuning tricks can be done to improve spool...Also the installation can help a lot. sizing the piping right...right manifolds or header primary sizing.

My turbo hits like my nitrous did..its actually a ton of fun to be honest
Old 09-17-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lcvette
any reason not to give it a whirl before you trade it in? I know a few people who run the TV series on LTx cars with a great deal of luck.. I don't see 7.5 psi being a problem by 3500rpm on your setup with that turbo. it will also not drop opff nearly as much up top with that larger turbine wheel. I would say give it a shot and if it doesn't suit you then trade it in.. better then wasting money at this point to find it may have worked.. especially if it is going to be a street car.

if you plan on roll ons, you will see spool faster from rolls in 2nd and especially 3rd gear. and it will have more of a sledge hammer hand of god pushing you feeling when it comes online. less back pressure in the exhaust pre turbo = more top end pull and power as well.

just my suggestion!

Chris
That's all good to hear. I just want to do it right the first time because in order to adapt this turbo I'll need alot of fitting adaptors for feedline, drainline, a customT6-T4 adaptor, custom made downpipe with vband flange and clamp ( I already have a 3" DP that came with the kit). Don't you have a T74GTS for sale? Might be interested.

Originally Posted by Ping King
a lot of tuning tricks can be done to improve spool...Also the installation can help a lot. sizing the piping right...right manifolds or header primary sizing.

My turbo hits like my nitrous did..its actually a ton of fun to be honest
I remember you said you had a similar turbo to mine. Is yours on a T6 flange? What's your A/R?

I wonder if I wrapped my headers and crossover pipe and kept the stock heads instead of going with 317's how much that would help? Also how about the stock cam vs. a TR 227/224 @ 114? Which would be the better choice?
Old 09-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Launching!

I did have a turbo for sale, but after I found a disturbing end to end shaft play I decided to tear it down and found that it needed some work so I decided to upgrade this one.

I can see the adapters and such being a pain in the ****, and that would be my only concern as well.. I suppose perhaps selling that turbo and finding one that would fit with less modification would be wise. with that in mind, those TC 76 units look to be a very good value. I would still at least upgrade to the MPS wheel and you still have a very affordable NEW turbo with a warranty.

Chris
Old 09-17-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
That's all good to hear. I just want to do it right the first time because in order to adapt this turbo I'll need alot of fitting adaptors for feedline, drainline, a customT6-T4 adaptor, custom made downpipe with vband flange and clamp ( I already have a 3" DP that came with the kit). Don't you have a T74GTS for sale? Might be interested.

I remember you said you had a similar turbo to mine. Is yours on a T6 flange? What's your A/R?

I wonder if I wrapped my headers and crossover pipe and kept the stock heads instead of going with 317's how much that would help? Also how about the stock cam vs. a TR 227/224 @ 114? Which would be the better choice?
I have a tv7511...same size whee (i think.) but i have a .96AR on a t6 flange. I just put a plate in my inlet that channels the exhaust gasses better..and the spool imporved a lot.. My crossover is wrapped, i have stock heads, and a 218/218 cam. So i wouldnt go about giving up hope with your turbo, dont assume its going to spool at 2k rpm either, but highway pulls and peak power, is really where your turbo will shine. I know when i turned up the boost to 15psi a few months ago the car was a total animal.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Since you know how to work with nitrous, install a window switch that comes on at 2500 and shuts off at 5 PSI boost. A 35 shot will spool just about anything and last a very very long time.

Well.. depends on driving habits

If you dont want the dependancy.. then get a smaller turbo as suggested.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

a nitrous programmer offers that?
Old 09-17-2006, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

I do it on my FAST box. A simple MSD RPM window switch to activate and a hobbs pressure or voltage switch tied into a 2 bar MAP to deactivate.

Easy.

HTH
Old 09-17-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't want to have to go with nitrous though. Anybody have any advice about trying this:

Wrapping my headers and crossover pipe and keping the stock heads instead of going with 317's how much that would help if any? Also how about the stock cam vs. a TR 227/224 @ 114? Which would be the better choice?
Old 09-17-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would keep the setup you have now and try it out. Keep the IC piping short..maybe try an A2A IC with short piping.

Quick Reply: Turbo Help! Feeling very humble right now