Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Tried doing a search and didnt come up with much. When i start my car I leave a few drops of oil on the garage floor. and it looks like there has been a very consistent oil leak underneath because my flexplate cover and trans crossmember and pan have a layer of fresh oil on them. but lately something has been smoking and hittinf the middle pipe on my h-pipe and smoking out the back. It seems like it happens after the car has been running on the road for 10 mins. and it smokes for a couple miles then stops briefly then smoke comes out the back.

I pulled over quicly and can see its oil hitting the exhaust and smoking. a local board member said my oil pressure seems a little low (20-25 idle 40-45 cruising) and thinks it could possibly be the oil sending unit. wouldnt i lose oil pressure all together? Does this sound like rear main seal or valve covers? anyone have a similar experience?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most common problem is the valve covers. Look around, get underneath and see what you see on the heads in the rear, use a dental mirror etc. and try to track it down.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

i have searching a valve cover oil leak on my TA for quite a while now....and finally found a "repair / patch" job in my valve cover (im the second owner, orig owner clearanced covers) about the size of a BB, causing oil to run down the back "curved"edge of the cover,,then hitting the headers,,,

This may be way off from what your dealing with, but when i found this,,i had already replaced all seals, bolts grometts, etc,,just a thought. Good luck resolving your leak
Old 09-17-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Is there oil running down from the top of the bellhousing or just out of the lower part?

If it's running down from the top of the engine, it's either the oil pressure sensor or valve covers.

If it's coming out between the back of the engine and bellhousing, it's either the rear main seal or oil pan leaking at the back.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for all the info. hopefully i will get the car on a lift and check it out today...
Old 09-17-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

I basically had the exact same thing that your describing when my vavle cover went bad, replaced it and havent had a problem since
Old 09-17-2006, 02:50 PM
12 Second Club

its trans fluid!!! coming out of the vent on top. when it hits the exhaust it looks like oil. though taking a peak at the valve cover on the right side it could be dripping something. but the smoke is coming from the trans....to the auto trans. section...
Old 09-17-2006, 04:27 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll move you over man!
Old 09-17-2006, 04:56 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked to see if your trans is overfilled? This could be what is causing it come out of the breather. You could also have a pump problem causing it to blow out the vent. When you check your fluid does it appear as if it is foaming up or has air in it?