Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock stall loosened up to 2500 ???? question need help ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock stall loosened up to 2500 ???? question need help ASAP!!!

ok so im having alil frustration lately with my turbo setup...basically the car is a pig out of the hole...no boost=no power..im making real nice power from about 2800 and up.. anything under that rpm i feel the car kinda "slow"
**my question is that i have a guy that can re-adjust(loosen) my converter to give me a 2500 stall speed for about $200... He's "been in business for 20 years.." bla bla bla tha guy seems to know his stuff and has alotttt of info on these trannies... which looks promising...SO GUYS PLZ TELL ME if you think its worth it and if yout think it will solve this problem without being horrible on the street(cruising)...i really want this jus in case i have to roll somebody at a lower speed where my stock(1400 stall) SUCKS ASSSSSSSSS THANK YOU
Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

IMO I wouldnt even **** with the stock converter. Adding more stall to a stock diameter converter is going to = more heat. You'd be better off doing as many recommend and spending good money on a good converter, such as vig, yank, etc.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock converter will go to 2200 max and after that major parts replacement will be need, your best bet is to get a lighter converter and drop the weight of the stock 52 lb converter
Old 09-18-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yank
The stock converter will go to 2200 max and after that major parts replacement will be need, your best bet is to get a lighter converter and drop the weight of the stock 52 lb converter
holy **** that thing is a pig!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Restricted User

only reason im doing it is because my friends car is down, and we have identical cars, so we decided to get his converter and gave it to that guy to rebuild to then swap it on my car for experimental reasons mostly. that and the fact that it was only $190....he did reinforce many times that it was a "2500" stall so yes he is replacing parts in it, rebalancing it, etc etc whatever else he has to do to it...and he told me that i would really like it with my setup while still maintaining perfect driveability...i dont want a bigger stall b/c well, im jus not into that kind of thing..i jus want alil something that will help with the holeshots and low 1st gear rolls...but i do get what u mean Yank this thing is heavy...But wait, how much does a clutch in a M6 car weigh?? cuz i work at UPS and have carried SPEC clutches and those are pretty heavy now that i think about it
Old 09-19-2006, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

The weight on out SS type converter is 28 lbs, loss in weight is also on a 10'' dia. not on 13''
so the power transfer to the wheels is faster, and as more HP is put to the ground at a quicker rate the launch is better, that is something that the stock weight converter can not match in any stall speed
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get a Yank converter. You will not regret it. My second Yank is on its way (PY 3400), had to move up.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

so ummm im thinkin im buyin a new yank 3k converter for myself for christmas lol
Old 09-19-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

The weight on out SS type converter is 28 lbs, loss in weight is also on a 10'' dia. not on 13''
so the power transfer to the wheels is faster, and as more HP is put to the ground at a quicker rate the launch is better, that is something that the stock weight converter can not match in any stall speed
Really? My invoice said 34lbs so I assumed that was right but maybe not. If so that's a 24lb weight savings, and it isn't dead weight either. Your motor has to spin that thing.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:21 PM
Restricted User

hmm ill definitely think about it for the near future but for now im just gonna swap this one in just to get a feel for it and see what its like (ive never been in or had a stalled/cammed/nitrous/turbo car..(i jus finished my turbo setup so thats one of the experiences i get to scratch off the list )...anyways if i like and it gives me no problems it stays but if 4 whatever reason im not getting what i want out of it, FOR RIGHT NOW anyways, ill definitely put one of ur stalls on my to-do list ...i know smaller usually = higher capablility stallspeed with alot less weight...THANKS Alot Yank im real impressed with the weight savings of ur stalls compared to the stock
Old 09-20-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Junkie

You will see very little improvement from a restalled OEM unit. I had one done here at work, just for ***** and giggles ... it is exactly like stock, no difference. The weight of the beast kills any potential gains from modifying the OEM unit. If you want cheap and a noticeable improvement, get a 11" unit from a Trailblazer. Trust us, you will regret throwing away $200 for virtually nothing.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fenix99
ok so im having alil frustration lately with my turbo setup...basically the car is a pig out of the hole...no boost=no power..im making real nice power from about 2800 and up.. anything under that rpm i feel the car kinda "slow"
**my question is that i have a guy that can re-adjust(loosen) my converter to give me a 2500 stall speed for about $200... He's "been in business for 20 years.." bla bla bla tha guy seems to know his stuff and has alotttt of info on these trannies... which looks promising...SO GUYS PLZ TELL ME if you think its worth it and if yout think it will solve this problem without being horrible on the street(cruising)...i really want this jus in case i have to roll somebody at a lower speed where my stock(1400 stall) SUCKS ASSSSSSSSS THANK YOU

you can get a new converter for like 400... why screw with the old one?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can you get a new convertor for $400?

TB Converters stall to like 2200 right?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

http://www.converter.cc/hotspecials/hotspecials.htm
Old 09-20-2006, 03:52 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

its gonna make heeat
its heavy
its not gonna put power to the ground like a quality aftermarket.
id pass. keep the 200 bucks for a nitrous kit to help spool it up. more benefits from that.
good luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn! I've never seen a Yank this cheap.