Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque arm screws backing out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque arm screws backing out?

Since Ive installed my Moser 12bolt and my Spohn T/A I have had problems with the bolts backing out.

At first when I went to check on everything all 4 were a tad loose ( I red locktite'd every one of them). I figured that they just needed to get settled so I tightened them again.

They loosened a 2nd time so I re-locktite and re-tighten. The other day I raced a Lightning and *CLANG*, I lost the top bolt completely.

I replaced it and yet again I am having a problem with bolts loosening.

Is there something I can do? I sucks having to tighten them all up once every 3 weeks/handful of track passes.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Second Club

I have to do the same to mine about once a month too. I have broke the cradle on the Spohn tq arm once before too from this. I just put them back in with some new lock washers, washers, and red loctite. I am going to see how this holds. If it doesn't then I am going to wire tighten them.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are you torqueing the bolts to? I use red locktite and 100 ft lbs. I have never had mine come loose. You have to clean the bolts before using locktite.
Won't work on dirty or oily threads. I normally use Berryman's Chemtool or spray brake parts cleaner and blow dry with compressed air.

Good luck, Ed
Old 09-19-2006, 11:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had my 12 bolt in my car for 2 years and the bolts attaching my spohn tq arm NEVER once loosened up... I read about this happening to alot of people, with different arms, different this and that, and the same thought runs thru my head every time, stop being a ***** and CRANK the damn things tight, and stop having problems. Get a god damn pry bar on there to tighten them if you have to! A little dab of blue loctite on mine and a set of lock washers and that was it.... 2 years, hard street miles, 20 launches or more at the track, nothing, no problems, no loose bolts, no problems.

I've read about people wiring them in, hell I've even heard of a guy tack welding the head of the bolt to the tq arm so it can't back out LOL.... stop using a 1/4 inch drive ratchet, get a good tool on there and put your back into it! Those bolts see more foreces then you want to know about, they're meant to, so tighten them accordingly!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JL is right. Also clean the powder coat off the mounting bracket before install on both sides.

225-343-9029
Old 09-19-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

like everyone has said above, clean em off, loctite and torque away, havent had mine come loose yet
Old 09-20-2006, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Some have also found that some TA mounts are taller than the mounting bosses causing the tabs to bend down at an angle when tight. This causes reduced surface area for proper clamping forces. Putting a shim in between the boss and the tab to make the mating surfaces parallel can eliminate the loosening problem.

Been there, done that on a friends Formy with a BMR TA and DTS 12 bolt. Never came loose again.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Teching In

We are running the Spohn Arm and the top mountintg plate cracked at the bolt hole.Called Spohn and they told me to put the relocation brackets for the LCA on to fix the problem. They also said to make sure the bolts had a wire saftey strap or to put a small tac weld on the bolt. Spohn said the 12 bolts have this problem and the 6 speed is more of a challenge to get right. There tech department is very helpful and is ready to help.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

I've had the same problem, on a street/strip car. One day I noticed one bolt completely gone, and the second half way out.

I got new bolts, cleaned out the hole, used liberal amount of red locktite, and replaced both bolts, cranked them down as tight as I could get them. Waited a few days before moving the car, to let the lictite dry, and have since had no problems with those bolts. Wiring them would be a good idea.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AL SS590 M6
Some have also found that some TA mounts are taller than the mounting bosses causing the tabs to bend down at an angle when tight. This causes reduced surface area for proper clamping forces. Putting a shim in between the boss and the tab to make the mating surfaces parallel can eliminate the loosening problem.

Been there, done that on a friends Formy with a BMR TA and DTS 12 bolt. Never came loose again.

yep. I made two thin shims and now it has never cam loose. The problem is all you do it put pressure on the mount bracket as it starts to bend. It doesn't bend enough to clamp the axle so the shim will take up that space. With the space when you launch the bracket flexes and the bolts loosen
Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

spohn is great with their tech department lol take it from me
Old 09-20-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94z28L
like everyone has said above, clean em off, loctite and torque away, havent had mine come loose yet
Everytime I have re-tightened mine I cleaned the threads on the bolt and 12 bolt housing, used red-loctite, and torqued the **** out of them with a 3' breaker bar! Once I even used my torque wrench and torqued them to like 150 ft lbs. They still came loose after about 3-4 months of daily driving and seeing the track about twice a month. Like I said before I just added the lock washers. So if I find them loose again I am going to wire tighten them.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Moser 9 inch, UMI Performance torque arm = Zero issues with the bolts loosening up.

Don
Old 09-20-2006, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once tight try to slid a piece of paper between the bracket and mount. I bet you have a pretty big gap. Shim the gap and it won't come loose again
Old 09-25-2006, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

I tried everything to fix this problem on my car, but didn't have any luck. It broke the bracket because of this, broke the torque arm too. I also tightened one of the bolts so hard that it snapped off in the rear end and I had to drill and tap it. I ended up fabbing up a bracket and welding it to the rear end. I now use all 8 bolts instead of just 4.

Before I did this I ran two long bolts through the extra 4 holes and cranked those down with great results. I think this helps clamp the bracket together better. Hope this helps, Brian
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6speeder
I tried everything to fix this problem on my car, but didn't have any luck. It broke the bracket because of this, broke the torque arm too. I also tightened one of the bolts so hard that it snapped off in the rear end and I had to drill and tap it. I ended up fabbing up a bracket and welding it to the rear end. I now use all 8 bolts instead of just 4.

Before I did this I ran two long bolts through the extra 4 holes and cranked those down with great results. I think this helps clamp the bracket together better. Hope this helps, Brian
Could you share any pictures? My mech and I are trying to figure something like that out.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran longer bolts that use every bit of the thread in the rear and have lock washers with locktight. So far so good