Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anybody w/ VFN hood come in

Old 09-19-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody w/ VFN hood come in

I am ready to buy a VFN bolt on hood. I was wondering if anybody had problems and what were they? Or do they fit perfect? Thanks
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey dude, ive been asking everyone on this board how they like their and havent seen a single bad comment yet. All i hear is good from them, but they make take a while to get to you, but its apparently worth the wait. Im getting a WS6 hood from them
Old 09-19-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

why would you want to get rid of ur ss hood? its the best looking hood for camaros IMO
Old 09-19-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87
why would you want to get rid of ur ss hood? its the best looking hood for camaros IMO
I was getting the 3inch SS hood
Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jeremym
I was getting the 3inch SS hood
lmao upgrading eh?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

VFN Sunoco Cowl here, fits like a glove. Pics of the test fit here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/558766-test-fitting-my-new-sunoco-cowl-hood-not-painted-yet.html

Painted pics coming soon!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by XtinctZ28
VFN Sunoco Cowl here, fits like a glove. Pics of the test fit here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558766

Painted pics coming soon!
I think that's the hood I'm going to get in the spring. I also have never heard anything but good about them!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

with any aftermarket hood, there WILL be some adjusting, and it won't fit as good as your stock hood, but vfn hoods seem to fit better than any other aftermarket hood.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Veteran

yes if you properly adjust it it will fit very very very well. just make sure you take the time and put in the effort to set it right and you will be happy, dont rush through it just to get it done. they have very high quality products, and if there is something you arent satisfied with they usually make it better for you, if you know what i mean
Old 09-20-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

only VFN hoods ive heard problems about was a pin on, but due to the extreme lightweight and purpose, thats not a major deal really. heard nothin but good about the bolt ons
Old 09-20-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info
Old 09-20-2006, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Heres how mine fits. No complains here.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

I have bought from other fiberglass companys. By far they are the finest. Excellent fit and excellent quality. And their customer service is amazing. Took me 7 weeks to get my hood. But it was worth the wait.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:50 PM
JBM
TECH Enthusiast

I recently got the 3" SS hood. The front and sides were well finished, but the edge along the windsheild was very poor. It will require alot of prep before I'll be happy with it. To be fair, I'm very particular about fit and finish, and will be showing the car next year. If you are concerned with the appearance of the underside of the hood, you may not like the 3" SS hood. Don't know if the Sunoco is any better.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

I personally didn't like mine. I bought the stock Firebird Ram Air hood. After being quoted 10+ hours of labor by a couple of body shops, I bailed on it. JBM isn't lying about the windshield edge either. Mine was completely miscut at this location and had exposed chopped fiberglass. Also, watch out for low spots in the fiberglass. You will need alot of sanding and filling. These hoods are definately not OE quality. In VFN's defense, they did offer to fit it to the car for no cost, and they don't claim that they are factory correct pieces. YMMV, but it was far more difficult and costly trying to make the hood look factory instead of just buying a factory piece.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Bird_Of_Prey
I personally didn't like mine. I bought the stock Firebird Ram Air hood. After being quoted 10+ hours of labor by a couple of body shops, I bailed on it. JBM isn't lying about the windshield edge either. Mine was completely miscut at this location and had exposed chopped fiberglass. Also, watch out for low spots in the fiberglass. You will need alot of sanding and filling. These hoods are definately not OE quality. In VFN's defense, they did offer to fit it to the car for no cost, and they don't claim that they are factory correct pieces. YMMV, but it was far more difficult and costly trying to make the hood look factory instead of just buying a factory piece.
That's odd...I just picked my hood up from them and the fitment is absolutely awesome. Armando even put in 3 hours of his personal time [after business hours] to fit the hood for me. I'm more than pleased with the outcome and can't wait to get it to paint. This is the 3rd time I've dealt with them and the 3rd time they've gone above and beyond for me. Just for refrence every single line on the hood is cut absolutely perfectly, including the windshield line.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:31 AM
Rehab is for quitters...

I am shocked that anyone has had problems with fit and finish. I even posted pics of my hood when I test fit it on the car, and several people even commented on how good it fits. I took mine to a local dealership bodyshop and they estimated a total of 7 hours with paint and a cost of less than $400 total. The shop manager (18yrs of experience, and also an F-body owner) stated that it was one of the best quality and well fitting fiberglass hoods he has seen.

These hoods are hand made and maybe there are some instances where the quality was a bit lacking, but in those cases I am POSITIVE that VFN would have stood behind their product and made things right if given the chance.

If you take the good experiences that most people have with VFN, and compare them to the very few people that have had issues with their product, you are looking at a very high percentage of satisfied customers. I am sure they are not perfect but then again who is.

Make sure you see one of these hoods in person if that is possible.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

When talking about fitment, even if you were to take off your stock hood, and didn't mark the locations, it will take a good amount of fitment time to get everything lined up correctly. It's just one of those things. Heck, the factory didn't do a perfect job each time they installed a hood and when I bought my car, as soon as it came off the car carrier and I was inspecting it, I pointed out that the hood and headlights weren't aligned properly and they had to do that before I bought the car. Not a big deal, that's why they make that stuff adjustable to begin with.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Soooo, whats gonna happen to your SS hood?
Old 09-22-2006, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/nhra/DSC02440.JPG.html

Prime quality example here. You can see where they molded over a stock hood and didn't remove the factory applied "RAM AIR" decal. Also notice that around the scoop, the blurring of the line. It should be very crisp.

http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/nhra/DSC02447.JPG.html

This is how the hood sat "out of the box". Note the driver's side is about 1 inch higher than the passenger side.

http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/nhra/DSC02466.JPG.html

Underhood shot to prove it's VFN.

http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/nhra/DSC02476.JPG.html

Scrapes and gouges come free with every purchase.

http://www.shapor.com/pics/cars/nhra/DSC02479.JPG.html

Attacked with a hacksaw? This was the trailing/windsheild edge of my hood. You can see that it's cut long and poorly.

Perhaps I got a bad one. I'll never know. I had a heated PM exchange with VFN, ProStockJohn got involved, it's a mess. I'm not here to bash them. But you get what you pay for, and VFN's prices are cheap for a reason.

Last edited by Bird_Of_Prey; 09-25-2006 at 09:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody w/ VFN hood come in