Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whining noise......

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise......

I've been getting a whineing noise lately and have been wondering if maybe my clutch is finally giving out. I hear it when i'm accelerating and goes away when I shift. I barely hear the whining in third and above. Could this me my clutch? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like a clutch. Could be worn gears in the trans. Are you sure it's coming from the trans and not the differential? Does it happen in all gears? Get louder to quieter under harder acceleration? Any noise when decelerating in gear?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike44138
Doesn't sound like a clutch. Could be worn gears in the trans. Are you sure it's coming from the trans and not the differential? Does it happen in all gears? Get louder to quieter under harder acceleration? Any noise when decelerating in gear?
The noise gets quieter to louder under hard acceleration. No noise decelerating. only accelerating. and is the loudest in first and second gears! sounds like it's coming from the front of the car. Thanks for the input! Any more idea's. Thanks again
Old 09-21-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

Funny, I was about to post the exact same thing about my tranny.
Let's hope someone can shed some light on this!
Old 09-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by meatfoam
Funny, I was about to post the exact same thing about my tranny.
Let's hope someone can shed some light on this!
Have you had your clutched changed? Mine is still stock and have about 30000 miles. A lot of drag racing! A lot of Power shifting! Can't complain even if it is the the trans and not the clutch, it's held up strong....so far.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I have a Spec Stage 3.
I have a hotcam and run a 100 shot. Street tires only. Over 500 lb/ft to the wheels.
Beat on it and haven't had a real problem yet, just the whining noise.
Well, that, and the tranny feels kind of notchy/crunchy when I change gears, more so than a year ago. No grinding, though!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Teching In

The above is the exact problem I am facing now. I know this thread is old but I was searching for the symptoms but have not found any thread that has a conclusion.
thanks
Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 AM

I seriously doubt its the clutch . More than likely you are getting some gear whine in the differential . A good way to determine whether the trans is making noise is to try running in in 4th gear . If the noise is still there , its the diff . If its not then it could be in the transmission .
Old 10-21-2007, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

through out bearing maybe??
Old 10-21-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch will almost never cause a whining noise. If it mainly happens in first and second under load and goes away when you coast or decelerate, you have a little bit of work to do to try to isolate it. Noises are difficult sometimes because they can telegraph around and appear to coming from someplace else.

Take the belts off and make sure it's not the P/S pump, idler pulleys, alternator, A/C compressor.

Try shifting earlier and try to load the rear at the lower speeds to try isolate that.

If it appears to be none of the above, then you probably have an issue with gears, synchros, or bearings in the transmission.

Quick Reply: Whining noise......