Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Help With Throwout Bearing/clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Throwout Bearing/clutch Install

Hello everyone,by the way this is a 98 m6 ls1 im working on name is old.. im having a huge *** problem installing my new spec 2 clutch. I got it up in the car with the tranny jack everythings almost bolted up i bolted the bellhousing up first to the engine now im going to bolt the tranny to the bellhousing..The input shaft of the tranny has to be into the clutch disc because there is no room between the throwout bearing and the fingers of the pressure plate..it just seems like the throwout bearing just sits on the input shaft it dosent lock on very good it dose a little but if you barely bump or turn it slightly it will spring off? My dad thought that was a joke he dosent think its supposed to be like that..he said im now fighting where the end of the input shaft goes into the divit on the crankshaft were the pilot bearing is..but we've restled with it for about 2 hours now trying to get it in the last 1 1\2 inch but no luck..if you look in the space between the bh and the tranny you see the throwout bearing so it seems like were just fighting the tension the the Throwout bearing spring? Am i supposed to buy some longer metric bolts and pull the BH and tranny together? completel lost..please dont say i have to pull it all back apart..and i did use the plastic alignment tool so i know everything is straight..just cant get the tranny in that last inch and a half..any help appreciated..thanks!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're feeling the resistance of the throwout bearing trying to depress and engage the pressure plate, or you don't have the nose of the input shaft lined up with the inside of the pilot bearing. Here's how I usually get it on.... Line it up as best as possible then use a few of the gear box to bellhousing bolts to make sure it stays aligned and keep working it in bit by bit. You can use the bolts to overcome the slave cylinder, but don't get crazy. If you crank on the bolts and it's not lined up you'll bend the clutch disc, crack the bellhousing, crack the gear box, or mangle the pilot bearing. Make sure the input splines are aligned in the clutch disc and ease it in. Some people have suggested opening the bleeder on the slave when installing to make the slave easier to compress. I don't know if this will cause problems personally as I've never done it.

The slave cylinder does look kinda flimsy, so that's normal. The first time I did the trans install I had a set of longer metric bolts that I chopped the heads off of and that did help so it's not a bad idea. Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Banned

try puttin the driveshaft in and spinning it and u deff. have to have 2 ppl doin this for it is easier. also u dont have to have the t/o bearing plugged it, it will take a lil of force but it will go in
Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 AM
Teching In

So the to bearing is supposed to just sit on the input shaft kindof and be touching the fingers on the pressure plate all the time? Might just take the tranny down and start over again and make sure the alighnment tool is dead on..i know im throw the pp and disc with the input shaft of the tranny cause when it was in 1st before i put it in Ntrl..you couldnt turn drive shaft yoke or w\\e you want to call it..i nkow the teeth are in with thte teeth..so now its just up to fight the presure of the slave? IF i open the bleeder and let all the pressure out will that help? thanks!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 AM
Teching In

comeone people need help asap..
Old 09-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

let me make sure I'm understanding you.. You keep saying "the t.o. bearing just sits on the input shaft". The t.o. bearing should be attached to the spring on the slave cyl. The slave is bolted to the tranny w/ 2 bolts. Once its on, the t.o. bearing will surround the input shaft, but doesnt really sit on it. And yes it will touch the fingers on the clutch when you install the tranny. Thats how it disengages the clutch, by pressing on those fingers. I had trouble sliding my trans in the last couple of inches also. just got a freind to kindof rotate it back and forth while I pushed from the rear. As soon as the input shaft lined up with everything, it slid right in. Make sure you have it level with the engine and arent going in at an angle.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Ok yeah im having same problem as you..ill try for an hour see if i can get it..

Quick Reply: Need Help With Throwout Bearing/clutch Install