Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Stall Converter Insight

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Stall Converter Insight

Okay guys... I'm a little dumb about the whole stall converter thing... I'm used to driving AWD, and never really got into mods like this when I had my old Z... So my question is this:

When you have a stall converter, how does it "stall up" do you push the gas and it goes up to 3xxx RPMS and goes... I understand that if you're WOT, after shifts it keeps the RPMs up, but what about regular driving? do the RPMs go back down driving normal? Maybe someone could link me to a FAQ on Stalls... I couldn't find too much on the board. Maybe I'm just dumb...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

when you frist take off normal driving it will take about 1800 -2000 rpm usually to start moving. if you get a 3500 stall for example it will stall to 3500 when you go wot. it will jump right to that rpm. once you hit a certain mph it will lock up and drop in rpms for cruising. hope this helps
Old 09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Teching In

So if i'm rolling down the highway at 50 MPH, and I stomp it, does it essentially do the same thing (jump to a higher RPM?). How is this on the street? I would think it would kill a launch because of tire spin? But maybe help out from a roll if it jumps up to a higher HP RPM.

Is it bad for the transmission?

Anybody have any experience with getting it installed? I don't usually do transmission stuff... I'd like to pay to have it installed if its not toooo expensive!

Thanks for the help... And by the way, I meant to say in my post the other day, your car is HOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ^^^^^^ (I love gunmetal... I think those rims would look pretty sweet on my white Z as well!)
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

if you have tires that can hook you will launch like all hell and jump out really hard. If you have crap tires you will spin all day long. From a roll you would need a big converter to make a difference, about 4k+ anything smaller wouldn't do much.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you for the compliment! yes if you are rolling at 50 and stomp on it it will jump to the stall speed.

on the street? as far as driving you will lose a little gas milege, once you get used to driving with it you wont even now you have one.

yes you will spin your tires from a dig but if/when you get better tires it will just throw back in your seat!

sorry but i will have to disagree with the post above where he said abything under 4k from a roll wont make a difference. anything other than the stock will make a difference. i had a 3400 and it make a huge difference. i am now going with a vig3600, but from what i hear it will actually stall at like 4k or so.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Teching In

So basically, if my girlfriend drives the car, and she doesn't slam her foot down, and just drives gently, she should barely be able to tell the difference?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Smile

ya but dont let her drive it and get a 4000
Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Agt. Orange
ya but dont let her drive it and get a 4000
HAHA... well, I actually bought the car "for her", which involves her driving it during the week to work and home, and me ripping into it on the weekends and some weeknights. So its a very fine balance. Technically its "her car", even though I pay for it and mod it, etc., but in reality, I didn't have enough room in my driveway for another car, so I figured she could take her out and exercise her during the week, so that on the weekends, she's all warmed up and ready for me to go out and run the **** out of her **(the car)**lol

Anyway... My daily driver is a well-modified WRX, so I enjoy that quite a bit, and it makes it much more worth it when I get to drive the camaro!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just got my vig in and back it is awsome...stalls around 4k but is pretty tight and starts moving around 1500 or so...doesnt lock up till about 40mph though
Old 09-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

So would you recommend it? I'm thinking about getting one next week!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well heres the thing..ive only driven about 20 miles so far...it doesnt grind like my old one did before it went so thats good. all i can say is that i like it so far...but 3600 might be to high for your gf. maybe to high for you. i dont know. like i said it doesnt lock up until 40 so if you are going to be doing a lot of intown driving maybe you would want to consider something a little smaller. maybe you can tune it to lock up earlier..im not sure. but im happy with it, thats all i can say. the rest is all up to you...sorry if this doesnt help
Old 09-22-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

For a good street converter with good kick.....I would reccomend a Yank SS3600. It's nice and tight on the street (at part throttle) and will make a huge difference at the strip. Dropped .4 with that being the only change between weekends of racing.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

go 4000 or dont do it at all is my vote. had a vig. 3200 and after 2 weeks i wanted bigger. got it restalled to 4400 has a 2.53 str and it is veeery streetable. i love it and wish i had gotten it from the get go.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28convert
go 4000 or dont do it at all is my vote.

Lol! If it was my car I would agree with that statement. I have since swapped the Yank 3600 for a 4200 stall. By the sounds of the thread starter.....his girl is gonna be driving this a lot on the street and may not like a stall that big.

If my girl (who has an M6 WS6) drove an auto.....she would be pissed at me if I got her anything less than a 4000. Everyone has there own comfort level. For my girl it's going sideways roasting the tires.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Lol! If it was my car I would agree with that statement. I have since swapped the Yank 3600 for a 4200 stall. By the sounds of the thread starter.....his girl is gonna be driving this a lot on the street and may not like a stall that big.

If my girl (who has an M6 WS6) drove an auto.....she would be pissed at me if I got her anything less than a 4000. Everyone has there own comfort level. For my girl it's going sideways roasting the tires.

LOL.... We're working on that... Baby steps...