Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny issue

I just started getting a issue with my t56. Car is a 99 all stock tranny parts.

The car doesn't feel like it wants to shift, at some points and 2 times yesterday, none today it just wouldn't go into gear at all, after a few seconds of fighting it trying to engage over and over it would go but doesn't feel as nice.

I'm kinda worried somethins is wrong big time, I was talking with someone they guessed sncryos, someone else brought up the plates on the tranny.

I'm going to take it to a shop on way home from work. Just any ideas what it might be? What i'll need to do?

This just started as well, I did take an over 300 mile trip to MD all highway and she ran like a dream, this kinda just popped out of no where what gives?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I feel I should add clutch feels to be in great health, car is rarely beat on, mostly driven under 2K.

Pedal Pressure feels fine.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kinda sounds like a hydraulic problem. i had one in my prelude. ya i know its not an ls1

whats the mileage/condition of your hydraulics?
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jdoyle
kinda sounds like a hydraulic problem. i had one in my prelude. ya i know its not an ls1

whats the mileage/condition of your hydraulics?
Probbly not being in best of shape being it's 7 years old and has 85K+ plus, and the first owner wasn't well the brightest bulb i've been coming to find.

Thanks for the help, any other feed back would be great. If it is hrydo issue its 01+ stuff and drill mod time I guess correct?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes sirrrr

i did the Mcleod Master Cylinder, a slave cylinder from o'reillys, and a bronze pilot bearing from t56rebuilds.com when i got my tranny rebuilt by joe at t56rebuilds

hope this helps
Old 09-21-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Late leaving work today, no problems but still doesn't feel good and makes me worried.

Couldn't make it to shop, can anyone else chime in ?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok back from the shop today still doesn't feel right, it's asumed that its a pressure plate issue, or throw out bearing.

ugh, any ideas and would this be a good time to do drill mod and or swap to the 01+ hydro setup?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Yeah I'd do that your clutch is directly responsible for how it "feels" going into gear. If its not engaging all the way or if its slipping it will be hard going into gear. At 85K miles its sufficient to say that your stock PP and disc could be shot as well as slave cylinder. After we finished my clutch over the last 2 weeks it would start to feel notchey or not want to go into gear, I'd get home and mity-vac the hydraulics and it would shift absoulutly perfectly after it got the air out of it. So maybe its time to upgrade your disc/pp as well as get a fresh slave/pilot.

EDIT: one more thing. People keep talking about the 01+ hydraulics. From what I hear there is only 1 manufacturer of slave cylinders in the world, so get the cheapest you can find, advance had it in stock for 66 bucks. Masters may be a whole different issue (you do the drill mod on your hydro line on that side)

hope this helps a bit

Last edited by 1998z28ss; 09-25-2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1998z28ss
Yeah I'd do that your clutch is directly responsible for how it "feels" going into gear. If its not engaging all the way or if its slipping it will be hard going into gear. At 85K miles its sufficient to say that your stock PP and disc could be shot as well as slave cylinder. After we finished my clutch over the last 2 weeks it would start to feel notchey or not want to go into gear, I'd get home and mity-vac the hydraulics and it would shift absoulutly perfectly after it got the air out of it. So maybe its time to upgrade your disc/pp as well as get a fresh slave/pilot.

EDIT: one more thing. People keep talking about the 01+ hydraulics. From what I hear there is only 1 manufacturer of slave cylinders in the world, so get the cheapest you can find, advance had it in stock for 66 bucks. Masters may be a whole different issue (you do the drill mod on your hydro line on that side)

hope this helps a bit
Thank you much for your time and post!

I'm scheleded to back to the shop next tues, If I need a clutch and Fly I'm doign a oem ls6 and light fly of sorts.

I will remember that when ordering a slave!

I'd do it myself if I had time/ room to do so but I know the local shop owner is good and quite sane in price.

Oh well, this sets back my Headers

My question now is, why would it feel like it grabs so strong when it does enage if the clutch is dying?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Yeah if you can get a deal on it go for it. It was a complete pain in the *** doing it ourselves and took probably 6 hours total with 3 guys.