Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Which combo for an insanely fun DD?
Option-1 MPT-70
0%
Option-2 MPT-70 + cam
0%
Option-3 Garrett T-76 + cam + extras
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions needed. Which combo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed. Which combo?

Really need some opinions here. I'm looking for a insanely fun street car. It will never see the track (maybe). I'm looking to have something with rapid spool and only rev to no more than 6400-6500 rpm's. I know most of you are out for the highest numbers possible and the fastest track times. Please keep in mind, this will be a 100% street car. Here are my mods so far:

Stock block and heads (Comp 918's)
Victor Jr. intake W/Aaron's elbow
FAST 90 TB
Edlebrock shorty headers
Phamspeed budget kit (for now)
Garrett TV series 76mm turbo 1.08 A/R T6 flange
Tial 50mm BOV
Tial 44mm WG
OBX 24x12x4 intercooler

I have a TR 227/224 569/563 @114 cam I'm thinking of installing but want to see what you guys think first. I'm thinking I might not need it.

In order to acchieve what I'm looking for should I:

Option-1
Leave the car as is and run a MPT-70 turbo at 10 psi? could have it done in no time. Have all parts to bolt it right up. Would this be safe with a good tune?

Option-2
Same as option 1 but run the TR cam and only 7.5 psi. Again could have it done quickly but don't know which would be the best way or safest way to go.

Option-3
Keep my turbo I have now. Even with the large A/R and T6, use the cam, and run about 7.5 psi. Would still need several hundred in extras for adaptor, fittings and a custom downpipe.

Are 6.0l heads neccessary with my psi goals and how would they affect spool time?

What's more dangerous to a motor: the amount of psi or the amount of rwhp?

Last edited by Bird-Of-Prey; 09-21-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forged stock cubed LS2.........remember psi is a restriction not a measure of stress. rwhp is though....
Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Restricted User

You don't specify which turbo you have now. Personally, I would run a Turbonetics and more preferably a Garrett unit. You'll need a tune no matter which route you choose and a very good one at that...with a stock block. The 6.0L heads would certainly help. I would stay around 5-6 psi if your fairly new to FI and grow from there. You can comfortably run that amount on a stock block and make a decent amount of power - 425 to 450rwhp.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
You don't specify which turbo you have now.
That's the problem. I don't know what turbo I have either. After manys posts here and on turbomustangs nobody can seem to give me an answer. It's definatley a TV series unit. I don't remember the specs but I did measure at one time and it came out to approx. 76mm ind and 102 exd on the cpmpressor with a .75 A/R 5" inlet and 3.5" outlet. Don't remember the turbine inducer buth the exducer was 87mm I think with a 5" vband downpipe. It has a 1.08 A/R and a T6 flange. The part # is 408752. After looking at a huge list of TV series turbo part #'s this one doesn't seem to exist. Many have said it's TV8102 but I don't think so. Just doesn't seem to match any that I've seen but it's close. I think it would make a great turbo for a track only car but won't be so great on the street. I know the MPT-70 would work for me but I just want to make sure that I'm not getting rid of a better turbo that would have worked. Here's a few pics:

Old 09-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Restricted User

(edit: mis-read your A/R size) It would probably work for what you want to do. Keep the boost down low though. The BIG A/R on the turbine side may allow you to spool relatively decent....slowly but surely on the street. The big compressor wheel will allow you to move a good amount of air.

The inherent problem with that turbo is someone went to the trouble of polishing the compressor cover and it took off all the markings. Are there any other markings on the turbine side, near the flange...where it says " air research "?
Old 09-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

Another note: that turbo is relatively close in size to the GT4202. The GT comes with a 74/102 ind/exd comp. wheel and a 1.01 or 1.15 A/R turbine housing with a 82mm wheel.

So, if you ever decided to turn up the wick and make big power on the top end, it would certainly do it. The GT4202 is rated at 1100hp. Let us know what else you find.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's some more pics with #'s on the turbine.

It says B1.02 stamped on the turbine flange:

This I'm pretty sure shows a 1.08 A/R?

Has 75 stamped into the compressor outlet.

On the other side of the compressor outlet is stamped the # 2.

Hard to see but the #'s 359 are stamped on the compressor wheel.

The compressor housing itself doesn't seem all that large. It's only 9.5" in diameter. Hopefully someone will know what these #'s mean. It is a Garrett compressor housing and a AiResearch turbine housing.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Restricted User

I'll look into these numbers and get back to you. More than likely the shop that did a rebuild on it used parts they could get, so now its a "mutt" turbo. The 408 number sounds like an old Garrett core. No current part numbers match but from what I recall they were 6 digits and started with those numeric characters.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed. Which combo?