Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

IC Pic's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default IC Pic's?

Hey guys

for those of you running Twin set ups, are you using 1 IC? I was wondering if I could see some pictures of the piping to the IC using 2 turbos.

I've seen TT trucks with one intercooler per turbo, but we dont' have the room for that, so i was wondering how you guys merge the pipes together.

thanks!
Old 09-23-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

anybody?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Since my compressor tubes were approaching each other from opposite sides of the car, I chose to merge them into a single three inch pipe using a merge design. Basically, I took two 90* mandrel bends and removed all but maybe three quarters of an inch from one side of each bend. So, I now have three quarters of an inch straight length after the final bend is complete. Place these two short sides parallel, side by side. Imagine cutting each tube along a plane that is also parallel with the centerline of the short straight sides. If you do this cut at equal distances from the center on each piece of tubing, you can butt the cut planes of each tube to produce a simple merge collector. Once this is complete, weld along the outside of joint. Depending upon your final, summated perimeter, you will need to hammer the ends of the joints out to create straights between two tangential points of each end radius. This is what produces that oval shape to fit with your larger tube. To form the larger pipe, use a vice to widen the tube to the necessary width. Usually, the mid or center point of the tubing in relation to the contact area of the vice will not stay flat as their is no die inside to support. It will begin to curve inword much like a statistical bell curve, with the top of the bell pointing towards the center of the tubing. Not to worry, you can hammer this out flat using a flat anvil or, your imagination. Once completed, simply butt weld the two together, or if your made your calculations with some fudge room, you can fit the merged pipes inside the larger tube and get a nice lap weld. Also depending upon your calculations and cuts, you may be able to keep from having to hammer flats in each tubing, and simply slide one into the other. I will take a picture of this as you probably have no clue what it all looks like.

For the pencil work: calculate the circumference from the outside diameter of the compressor pipes and the intercooler pipe. Subtract the intercooler side value from the compressor side value multiplied by two for two pipes. Take this circumference difference and divide by two. Now you know how much material you need to remove from each pipe. If you need to remove say, an inch of circumference, take a piece of string or copper wire and cut it to length. Place it where ever you want the tubes to merge keeping in mind that you really want both bend centerlines on the same plane. Mark on the ends where you want the cut plane. Now you get to cut both of these planes dead nuts parallel with respect to the straight side centerline of the tubing. Too much angular variation will produce a larger or smaller cross-section and the bends will not be symmetric.

Sorry if you didn't need to primer in steel fab, but I figured if you couldn't think of that on your own in the first place, it might help ya just a wee bit when you looked at the picture thinking great, now how the **** did he do that. I will take a picture tomorrow or Monday when at the shop.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks man

pics would be great!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for Tiago....

Kyle
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

u have any more pics of this setup
Old 09-24-2006, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Old 09-24-2006, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 09-25-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Tiago's IC setup is by far MY FAVORITE.. I was soo close to calling stenod and changing my current IC setup. I've never seen one soo big and beautiful. Truely a piece of art.

Quick Reply: IC Pic's?