Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Radial v Bias warning - Sticky nomination!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radial v Bias warning - Sticky nomination!

Okay, have read about this a little. After possibly making a mistake. I know that bias (non-radial) tires and radial tires should not be on the same axle. However, I've also read that you should not mix bias and radials on the same vehicle.

This is mostly due to design characteristics of these distinctly different tire technologies. So, if I have Hancook tires on the front and M/T Indy S/S tires on the back, have I made a significant mistake?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:32 AM
9 Second Club

I run bias out back and radial skinnies up front for years now. Never had a problem. I'm not curring any sharp corners though.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks - I don't have any sharp corners. However, I do have one curve where I've noticed some "static" from the rear. I'm running the same size radials up front as I have bias in the rear. The other thing I read was if doing radial/bias was to keep the radials in the back.

What kind of bias do you run in back, I see the MT drag, but like it says - those are radials........

Again, thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Mixing radials in the front and bias in the rear is a very bad idea. This is even worse if the fronts are wide. I know people have done this before and I see it at the track all the time, but it should not be done. I will give you my own personal account and you can take from it what you want. On my RX7 (ls1/T56) I was running stock front tires (205/55-16s) with some MT drag radials. This combination was solid as a rock. I run over 120MPH at the end of the quarter and I have never had any stability issues.
In hopes of taking some abuse from the rear, I got a set of MT ET Streets bias plys. The soft sidewall is gentler on driveline parts at the launch. I mounted the ET Streets on the same wheels as the MT DR and I went to the track with the same stock fronts. I started making passes and it was a mess. The car tracked very badly. The rear would sway back and forth and and it was downright scary. On two occasions I had to completely abandon the runs because the car was just going sideways and pointing me into the wall. After about 4 passes I called it a night. I then got some bias ply skinnies and mounted them on the front and went back to the track. The difference was night and day! The car tracked just as straight as it did with the stock radial fronts and MT DR in the rear. It was beautiful. No drama.

There was also an unfortunate incident lately involving a member here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/576518-did-mightymouse-crash.html

There is some discussion in that thread about the tires. It seem that this car had wide radials in the front and bias plys in the rear.

Just my 2 cents...

Andrew
Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Hey - Moderator, should we turn this into a sticky??????????

BTW - I've sent an email to the two moderators of this forum...

Last edited by 93ChevExt5.7; 09-24-2006 at 03:35 PM.