Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Drill Mod Question (Already read the article)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drill Mod Question (Already read the article)

I can see it's a matter of just drilling out the restriction. But the parts I need to know is what else (sorta mechanically challenged).

I see it's the only steel braided line on the driver side. Do I have to jack up the car and go underneath?

Or, can I just reach down and unbolt it....Will fluid leak out? Do I have to drain and re-fill system? Is the fluid run in with the brake fluid?

Do I have to take the line out of the engine compartment, or can I reach it from the top of the engine bay...

Any help would be appreciated...I think it's time, as my pedal feels messed when I go WOT.

Thx, much appreciated.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need to remove the master cylinder, but this article pretty much sums it all up:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

I'd recommend removing the driver's side seat in addition to all of the under-steering wheel paneling to make it easier to crawl up under there. You can get the master cylinder out from the top, but skinny, long arms help.

You'll need to get the car up in the air to get to the quick disconnect for the master -> slave connection - a little fluid will come out, but not much. When you remove the line, you'll lose a good amount of fluid. This means you'll be rebleeding the whole system. Use a DOT 3 or 4 fluid, but not a DOT 5 (not compatible).
Old 09-25-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I used dot 4 when I bled clutch. Why would dot 5 not be compatible? Doesn't it just have a higher boiling point?

Thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
I think I used dot 4 when I bled clutch. Why would dot 5 not be compatible? Doesn't it just have a higher boiling point?

Thanks
Dot 5 is silicone based, it will not mix with any other type of brake fluid. I've heard its bad for ABS brake systems as well.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

That's a no on the DOT 5, but I've read that DOT 5.1 is compatible.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes DOT 5.1 was made to be compatible. DOT 5 is a different chemical make-up and will not play nicely with your current seals and o-rings.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pulling the slave out = not too bad, reinstalling the slave = large PITA. +1 on the small arms and hands help. If you have a friend on the inside of the car help you line up the U bolt when reinstalling, that helps. I almost removed the brake booster, it was that bad. HAHA good luck. I love F bodys.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by Firechikn
Pulling the slave out = not too bad, reinstalling the slave = large PITA. +1 on the small arms and hands help. If you have a friend on the inside of the car help you line up the U bolt when reinstalling, that helps. I almost removed the brake booster, it was that bad. HAHA good luck. I love F bodys.
You must have meant the master cylinder (instead of the slave you wrote) - because pulling everything to get to the slave is a PITA no matter how you look at it.