Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to get oil to the main bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get oil to the main bearings...

Guys,

Whats the best way to get oil to the main bearings of a cold engine?...(without removing everything...)....

If I remove the valve covers and shoot oil down through the rods...will it drip/flow through the lifters and cam onto the main bearings?....

Stroker2112
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stroker2112
If I remove the valve covers and shoot oil down through the rods...will it drip/flow through the lifters and cam onto the main bearings?....

Stroker2112
no, it will not get oil to the mains. just crank the engine over, oil won't go into the area between the bearing/crank surfaces (especially when cold) without pressure, you'd have to go through the oil pump anyway. oil comes up from the bottom in your pushrods. cut spark to the engine and crank it over.

wtf are you doing anyway?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, so just disconnect the main powerpak connector(s) on each side (or is pulling the fuse better?) and then let the starter turn the motor/crank/oil pump over a few times...

I just installed a new 408 and couldn't get any oil pressure after starting a few times...so I went back into the oil pump and replaced it...found that the seal & opening around pick-up tube-to-pump was compromised from too much porting and using the old seal from my 5.3L. So, now that I've got the pump replaced...and pre-lubed the oil system....(except for the main bearings)...I don't want to do any more unnecessary damage...should find out if it has pressure tonight...

Stroker2112
Old 09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Your not gonna like this, but, pull the plugs too. Compression put force on the rods and with no oil, I dont like that in a new rebuild, so,

Pull the fuel pump relay

disconnect the coil packs

pull the plugs

crank away...