Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

detonation, lifter, exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default detonation, lifter, exhaust leak?

The last 2 weeks my car has been driving me nuts. I have a 402 with all the bells and whistles...513rwhp NA. I have a intermitant ticking noise from the center of my engine towards the top, I belive it sounds more like the drivers side but it is hard to tell. I got a low knock signal code so decided to change knock sensors and harness...nothing. Also it seems to run relatively quiet (except normal valvetrain noise) under normal driving but when I put a load on it it starts popping like a bad exhaust leak but quiets back down when I let off the gas. I am getting mo codes now and can hear it detonating right before it breaks out the exhaust leak soung from under the hood. Did I mention it happens at only 3500 rpm. When changing the knock sensors I noticed typical fuel wash on all intake runners except number 7...it was dry. Could a bad injector cause the detonation, exhaust noise, and the lack of any misfire codes or anyhting. What about the ticking noise? Lifter? Injector? Anything else?