Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

wrap this up fooooo!!! question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wrap this up fooooo!!! question

I know wrapping questions have been talked about over and over but would it help to rap the rest of this pipe below?? what does it improve spool time, i was told that wrapping will make pipe crack faster!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A few posts down, https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/581286-wrapping-hot-parts.html
Old 09-27-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

arent u supposed to have the crossover pipes wrapped? wrapping the downpipe shouldnt do anything power wise just a less hot engine bay
Old 09-27-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tondss u are right on both aspects. It will improve spool time and efficency but it will also make the pipes decay faster. Through corrosion and cracking. Im not sure how much faster it will crap out but sooner for sure. Gl

John
Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure it will cause cracks faster? Not saying you are wrong, just looking for some evidence.

I would think wrapping would not cause cracks any quicker than no wrapping.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Are you sure it will cause cracks faster? Not saying you are wrong, just looking for some evidence.

I would think wrapping would not cause cracks any quicker than no wrapping.
I've heard that it will definitly deteroriate faster from about every knowledgeable person I have asked. Some have said in 2years or less you will see problems.

Also, before I even started this turbo build....I have always heard that abnout wrapping hot parts n/a, or boosted.

The ceramic coating shop that is coating my hot parts said they always get customers who bring them wrapped parts and they often just send them home because the pies are already showing signs of problems...."so they say".
Old 09-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The_Perkulator
Wrapping lowers your underhood temperatures by trapping the heat near your wrapped part. Some people have problems with this because the heat of the wrapped part increases enough to burn off protective coatings. (hence exposing bare areas to moisture and creating rust and such)

I suppose if your wrapped parts (like your headers) can take it, then you could do it.

I personally wouldn't put this on my car, but don't listen to me; I drive a drinky little import around

It's give and take
Old 09-27-2006, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My cross-over and downpipe are wrapped...

I dont see how the pipes would decay faster or wear quicker... they will just retain more heat... and as long as your pipes are rated for the temp..

I dont see how it would be a problem
Old 09-27-2006, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

how is the cracking issue if you have stainless steel?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I posted this at the end of my thread but got no response

Found this on another forum. I think the underhood temps would be more important to me. What do you guys think?

" Wraping is well worth the effort and can produce HP for sure. Although even though it keeps heat of the engine bay wraping the Downpipe it can hurt performance, everything else it helps. The turbo works from a pressure diffarental across the turbin wheel, Hot gas on one side and cooler gas on the other is what makes it turn. For best performance you want to keep it as hot as possible before the turbo & cool it off right after it leaves the turbo and this makes the most defferance between the pressure on each side to give the best performance out of the turbo(quicker spool higher boost ability) . You have turbulance after it leaves the turbo so you want to keep the pipe the same size it comes out of the turbo for about 2" to 10" so that the gas gets strighten out and flows smoothly. Then you can expand the pipe to a larger size & this expantion helps cool the gasses to help with the pressure between pre & post turbo. But if under hood temps are extreem and the DP needs wraped just to help this problem out its not like it kills HP it just can make more power by leaving it uncovered to let it cool."
Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree w/ the thinking on that, but I'm far from an expert on the subject. It's akin to running a 3" downpipe vs a 3.5" - will the 3.5" make more power? Sure. If you can only fit a 3" is it the end of the world? Nah... If you need to wrap the downpipe to keep underhood temps down and/or it runs near PS lines, wires, etc then do it.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

My thinking is that wrapping parts would let them cool down slower after the car is shut off, which I would think is good.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well 2nd law of thermodynamics is Heat will travel from a warmer substance to a cooler substance....

High Pressure always travels to a lower pressure... That comes the subject of after the housing... How restrictive is your exhaust? that will help reduce back pressure and help get the exhaust gases moving... remember... hot air takes up more space than cooler air... hence sts using smaller exhaust housings to gather the cooler exhaust gases..

Everything comes in to play.... Heat helps keep the turbine wheel spinning... hence the turbine covers.... I thought the wrap was just for heat protection on stuff in the engine bay...
Old 09-28-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smearin
Well 2nd law of thermodynamics is Heat will travel from a warmer substance to a cooler substance....

High Pressure always travels to a lower pressure... That comes the subject of after the housing... How restrictive is your exhaust? that will help reduce back pressure and help get the exhaust gases moving... remember... hot air takes up more space than cooler air... hence sts using smaller exhaust housings to gather the cooler exhaust gases..

Everything comes in to play.... Heat helps keep the turbine wheel spinning... hence the turbine covers.... I thought the wrap was just for heat protection on stuff in the engine bay...
hey, u have any idea how much header wrap u needed.... cause im gonna wrap just my passenger header and crossover.....
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
hey, u have any idea how much header wrap u needed.... cause im gonna wrap just my passenger header and crossover.....
And not your driver header????
Old 09-28-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ninetres
And not your driver header????
i meant only my driver side.....
i sort of have a scientific explanation, let me know if u understand it, here goes:
the best thing for ur engine to have is equal flow from both sides of the engine, so my turbo is right next to the end of the passenger header which is good flow by itself, so i figure i need to try and help the driver side and crossover to equal the flow of the passenger side, so once i get the driver side to equal the passenger, i dont want to then wrap the passenger and make that flow better. it may sound stupid but i like it, and thats what matters
Old 09-28-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh.... no.

YOu dont have much control unless your tuning your car... to the flow of exhaust gases out of the headers.. you can help by using a free breathing exhaust to reduce backpressure ...

porting the heads would also help... HOw do you think the flow wouldnt be close? just because one route is shorter than the other? the heat wrap on the crossover will help maintain the heat from losing too much temp..
Old 09-28-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Smearin
HOw do you think the flow wouldnt be close? just because one route is shorter than the other? the heat wrap on the crossover will help maintain the heat from losing too much temp..
thast exactly y im just goign to wrap the crossover, thats my plan so far, also do u know how much header wrap u needed?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

NO idea... how ever much it takes to cover the pipe...

Old 09-29-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure I agree with this 100%. I think you want to open up the turbine output side to the largest diameter right off the turbine... probably about the width of output pipe on the turbine housing. This will help exagerate the hot side to cold side effect.

As far as the up-pipe goes (or crossover pipe) I would wrap it or get it coated with an expensive quality coating. If it's stainless, wrapping should not make it deteriorate any faster. I definitely want to try this coating on my cast iron manifolds:

http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

-Dave

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
" Wraping is well worth the effort and can produce HP for sure. Although even though it keeps heat of the engine bay wraping the Downpipe it can hurt performance, everything else it helps. The turbo works from a pressure diffarental across the turbin wheel, Hot gas on one side and cooler gas on the other is what makes it turn. For best performance you want to keep it as hot as possible before the turbo & cool it off right after it leaves the turbo and this makes the most defferance between the pressure on each side to give the best performance out of the turbo(quicker spool higher boost ability) . You have turbulance after it leaves the turbo so you want to keep the pipe the same size it comes out of the turbo for about 2" to 10" so that the gas gets strighten out and flows smoothly. Then you can expand the pipe to a larger size & this expantion helps cool the gasses to help with the pressure between pre & post turbo. But if under hood temps are extreem and the DP needs wraped just to help this problem out its not like it kills HP it just can make more power by leaving it uncovered to let it cool."

Quick Reply: wrap this up fooooo!!! question