Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch went out this morning. Extent of damage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch went out this morning. Extent of damage?

My car is at the dealership now, waiting to be looked at ... but before they tell me that its going to be 20,000$ to replace the entire clutch assembly. I was just wanting to know what the chances are that its just my hydro's that are f'd.

Started the car up fine this morning, drove about a mile and the pedal started feeling mushy. I came to a stop, put it in first (went in fine), then slowly accelerated up to speed. Pedal still felt mushy ... then when I came up to the intersection where I needed to make a turn, I put the clutch in to downshift and it wouldn't let me into 3rd, so I was like hmmmm ... tried 2nd, nothing. I costed to the side and when I let the pedal up. There was no pressure from the hydros ... just the return spring brought the pedal back up.

Under neath the car there was a puddle of hydraulic fluid. So what are the chances that the car just needs a new slave/throwout bearing? or does this sound like pressure plate issues as well?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your master cylinder needs to be replaced. prettty sure that sounds like a hydraulics issue. if it IS the master cylinder, the tranny wont even need to be pulled, which saves a lot of money. when theres a leak in the hydraulic system, it doesnt allow the clutch to fully dissengage, so even when the pedal is all the way to the floor, the disk is still riding the flywheel.

has the release point changed on the clutch pedal?

cross your fingers and hope its the master tho, more than likely thats what it is.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

To me, that sounds like a slave cylinder that went out (sorry to sorta disagree with you Kyle). The leaking fluid seems like the give away to me - probably coming straight out of the seals in the slave, on to the bell housing, and on to the ground through the slot in the bottom.

Chances are, your clutch is fine. Slave cylinders aren't expensive, either. Labor on the other hand...well, that's why I do those kinda installs myself.

You've had some terrible luck lately.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
To me, that sounds like a slave cylinder that went out (sorry to sorta disagree with you Kyle). The leaking fluid seems like the give away to me - probably coming straight out of the seals in the slave, on to the bell housing, and on to the ground through the slot in the bottom.

Chances are, your clutch is fine. Slave cylinders aren't expensive, either. Labor on the other hand...well, that's why I do those kinda installs myself.

You've had some terrible luck lately.
Yes ... yes I have. Had the car towed to the dealership, they said the slave cylinder burst. It would have been 640.00 if it was JUST the slave that needed replacement, anything else ... would have jacked up the price. Oh and it would have cost alil more labor b/c I have aftermarket exhaust.

I got in contact w/ another shop and I'm just gonna have them put in a Spec Stage 3 and new slave. Figure if I've gotta pay for the labor of having the tranny pulled, i might as well get the clutch replaced while I'm at it.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Exactly good call on getting your clutch replaced. The big overhead is the labor on the tranny after that its all gravy. Make sure they replace your pilot bearing as well while they're in there. And also make sure you have a fresh/resurfaced flywheel to go with the new clutch.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

glad to hear its only a hydraulic issue, and yea ya might as well replace the clutch while you're in there if you have plans for it in the future. i just had the have the bolts tourqued back down on my pressure platre bc they had backed out, and the labor was $200 just bc the tranny had to be p0ulled, so thats the only part that sucks.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:42 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, at least you know what the problem was. Good luck on getting it fixed, and hopefully you like the new clutch.