New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to check when looking at an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to check when looking at an LS1?

This Saturday I am going to look at a 99 Z/28 and if it's legit I am going to purchase it. The car is a one owner car with 68k miles. In the pictures it looks mint, but sometimes pictures can lie. I've never owned an LS1 car so I'm not too familiar with them in regard to what I should check, other than the obvious car stuff.

Edit: Here's the Autotrader ad.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Watch under the car while it is running..the rear main tends to leak and just watch for the obvious...unusual noises from the rearend, tranny, etc. Good luck
Old 09-28-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1.) Ask them if they recently swaped out ALL the fluids and put fresh fluids in.
-Motor Oil (Ask them what oil is in there right now! 5W30,10W30,10W40 ,..etc.)
-Transmission
-Rear Differential
-Radiator
-Power Steering
-Brake Fluid

.2) Ask them if they swaped out the spark plugs. If they have,.ask them what they put in.(When?)

3.) Ask them if they swaped out the Fuel Filter. (When?)

4.) Check the tires to see if they're low on tred. If they look new....then ask arround when they they changed them.

5.)
Check the Shocks. (push down on each corner of the car one by one. If it bounces right back up,..then there're still good. If theres a seriouse lag in the time it takes for them to spring back up,....they're gone!

6.) Check every switch in the car. (Push every damn buton in that car to see if everything works)
-windows
-mirrors
-locks
-seats
-radio(when you turn the radio on,.....look back and make sure the antenna goes up)
-cigarette lighter(even if you don't smoke,...check it! Trust me.)
-AC and window defroster
-Windshield wipers
-Head lamps
.........You get the idea!

7.) Ask them about the battery.

8.) Ask em about the Break Pads.

.9)
Ask them when the last time it was smoged

10.)Test drive it!!...
-Check and make sure that the cruise controle works
-There're not gonna want to to punch it but if you get a chance,...take her on a freeway during the test drive and see how she picks up.
-Pay attention and listen and feel for weird sounds or vibrations. (If the cars cold then you might hear some weird ticking coming from the engine bay but don't worry. After the car warms up that sound should disappear. It typical for our cars!)
-When you brake,..Listen! Metal on Metal sound is something you don't want.

F.Y.I. If you end up geting it,.....8 years OR 80,000 miles(which ever comes first). Thats what we're covered by under the Fedral Emissions Warranty. That means that if your car is Under 8 years old OR its Under 80,000 miles then you can take it to the dealer and they are required to swap out your 2 Cats and Y-Pipe at NO COST to you! Its the governments way of keep'n our air clean. My advise,...get it to the dealer quick and swap em out as soon as you get the car cuz if you wait too long it'll cost you 1K to replace em when they go bad. Not alot of people know this,...I sure didn't!

Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

test drive....20-25mph get off the gas and let the car come to a stop without applying the brakes ...listen for any rattles or ticking noises especially in the rear end
Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First off looks like a good deal
But MAKE SURE you look around the engine bay CLOSELY.(under and around EVERYWHERE) I somehow bought my car without noticing the acid leak where the battery was and it will never be the same