Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Hmm...Help me decide...Blown/Turbo guys..Come on in!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmm...Help me decide...Blown/Turbo guys..Come on in!!

Well...I love the nitrous ...but ive decided I'd like too step it up this winter. I want something that has power their all the time.

The cars mods are in the sig. I dont track it much, maybe 5-7 times a summer if that. It is a street car. I drive the car alot, its not my DD but I do take it out almost every nice night and hit up the local spot.

Ive been in touch with www.turbo-zone.com alot looking at their turbo kit. It is currently on sale, $2,550 with everything minus turbo,truck manifolds and wastegate. Does this seem like a fair deal? Seems pretty cheap to me...what kind of power are people making with these kits?

I also was considering the P1SC Procharger "tuner" kit...I believe it is $4700 out the door. I already have fuel upgrades.

I am looking for 450-500rwhp. The motor internals are stock but will be upgraded eventually. I have 62# injectors in the car now, and a racetronix fuel pump on order.

So tell me...TURBO GUYS, WHY should I go turbo? What size would be best? Is it right for me.

Supercharger guys...WHY should I go this route...is this better for me? Help me out

I AM on a budget...one thing that turned me away is I have 3.73 gears and Ive heard that with a 3600 stall 3.73s will NOT work well with a turbo car is this true? I really dont want to pay $400 for another gear/swap.

One thing that steered me away from the procharger is I kind of like the more stealthness of a turbo, lets face it...your not hiding a procharger to a deaf man they are loud as ish

Thanks

Chad
Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club

You will just run out of gear fast with a 3.73 sense your power comes on at ~3kRPM's. If your on a 10bolt drive her nice with FI... or youll be looking for a 12bolt soon.

Turbos sounds better and perform better side by side IMHO... also less moving parts... (no belts) and easier to just "crank up" if you ever want to. 500RWHP is easy with either, that is why its so addictive... 500 comes easy... so does 600... then its 650... then 700... its ok.. another grand here... another grand there... uhhh.. wow... uhhh..

Sorry... FI will hook you like a crackhead.

Just remember... Babies like bottles... real men get blown... and go broke!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:37 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by longrange4u
You will just run out of gear fast with a 3.73 sense your power comes on at ~3kRPM's.!

Huh? Lots of guys run 3.73 gears (myself included) on FI setups well into the 9's.

For simplicity I'd say go the procharger route, more of a set it once and forget it kind of deal. For a car that sees primarily street duty I think its better.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Get a Turbo kit from Hi Flo.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Get a Turbo kit from Hi Flo.

Aren't they still trying to fill orders placed like a year ago? I'd have a really hard time buying anything from them after the bullshit they put several members (and a couple friends) through.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went from dual stages nitrous 500ish hp to whats in sig, #'s i have no idea. clutch gave up on the dyno, still waiting for my textralia.

ok let me tell you why i went with this setup. i wont say the funds as im very close to almost 20k and all labor done myself. if you cant do it yourself, well lets just say DAMN your wallet would be alot thinner than mine. i did it from doing alot of reading and figured a more simple install would be the procharger. i was thinking cool to have 600hp/tq but im being told otherwise from working with turbos at another shop for three plus years i got tired of the leaking turbos over the years. seals going out and rebuilding. and then i read how much tuning involved. i made the decision of what i wanted power wise. and thought of whats the simplest route and who has been around. i was looking into the hiflo kit when my motor broke from the bottle. SHIET my car is up and running while folks are still waiting for the damn hiflo kit to arrive so im glad i chose what i chose. yes the procharger is loud but you decide what you want. asking on here you will ALWAYS get biased responses.

oh yeah ask bob @ epp for a price on the tuner kit

Last edited by SVC707; 09-28-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sure this aitn what u wanna hear but why not go big heads, cam and, intake? If all u want is 500 then that will be cake with that kinda setup. Goin FI is bad news if u have a budget. They will screw ur budget in a month. Ull end up with a broke engine and a long expensive road infront of ya. It all looks cheap from the outside, 2500 hot pipes, 1k turbo, 1k wastegate bov and mannies. U got the fuel so it seems like a 4500 deal right? Well it never ever EVER works that way.
But if u insist then go turbo. Its great when u floor it and the person u are racin thinks they are walkin ya then the turbo spools up and ur flyin by. It will be about 1-2k mroe expensive but i think its well worth it. Also ull be able to make more RWHP with a turbo on a stock motor then a blower as u wont have teh big losses u get from a belt driven system.
If we had Roots blowers available for our cars then id say go with that as 800 rwtq at 1500rpm is about as funny as it gets. But that aint a sane avenue. GL man

John
Old 09-29-2006, 02:48 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Huh? Lots of guys run 3.73 gears (myself included) on FI setups well into the 9's.

For simplicity I'd say go the procharger route, more of a set it once and forget it kind of deal. For a car that sees primarily street duty I think its better.
Hahaha... who is well into the 9's with a 3.73 gear ratio??? Anyways... he asked why people told him what they did about his gear ratio... do you have a better idea smart guy? Maybe they said it cause there are so many people in the 9's with 3.73's and a Procharger.... or not.

Anyways... back to the subject. Do a couple searches for both S/C and Turbo.. you can find tons and tons of info... Plus ask guys like the regulars with both... KP, Tiago, PSJ, Bob from EPP for S/C... etc. Lots and lots of info here!
Old 09-29-2006, 03:35 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Not sure WTF you're talking about? The math works out fine. I'd personally choose 3.23's for my car but I'm not worried about it now. There are several nitrous guys running them too. No need to be sarcastic, it will just make you look bad when you're proven wrong anyway. There are plenty of guys running 3.4-3.7x gears, now if he had 4.10's I'd be worried. While 3.73 is on the big end of what will work, it should be fine.

Last edited by TS6; 09-29-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TS6
Not sure WTF you're talking about? The math works out fine. I'd personally choose 3.23's for my car but I'm not worried about it now. There are several nitrous guys running them too. No need to be sarcastic, it will just make you look bad when you're proven wrong anyway. There are plenty of guys running 3.4-3.7x gears, now if he had 4.10's I'd be worried. While 3.73 is on the big end of what will work, it should be fine.
Sorry... was having a bad day when I answered that. Shouldn’t have been such an *** .

3.73 is a little high IMHO but as TS6 said it is workable... I wouldn’t even worry about your gear ratio until you replace your backend with a 12 or 9".

Your goals arent hard to attain... hell I hit 506 with the very basic STS kit at 9lbs of boost. You need to insure what your final goals will be then backwards plan from there. I think with boost if your not looking to forge your lower end... build a setup that will yield 500RWHP at ~5psi. Then if you choose to forge your lower.. you can up to 8-10lbs and make 600+ without problems... dont go with less then 60lb injectors (only think I did in my build that I really learned to later regret was went with 42# injectors)
Old 09-29-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will just run out of gear fast with a 3.73 sense your power comes on at ~3kRPM's. If your on a 10bolt drive her nice with FI... or youll be looking for a 12bolt soon.

Turbos sounds better and perform better side by side IMHO... also less moving parts... (no belts) and easier to just "crank up" if you ever want to. 500RWHP is easy with either, that is why its so addictive... 500 comes easy... so does 600... then its 650... then 700... its ok.. another grand here... another grand there... uhhh.. wow... uhhh..

Sorry... FI will hook you like a crackhead.

Just remember... Babies like bottles... real men get blown... and go broke!
I feel your pain man
Old 09-29-2006, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry... was having a bad day when I answered that. Shouldn’t have been such an *** .

3.73 is a little high IMHO but as TS6 said it is workable... I wouldn’t even worry about your gear ratio until you replace your backend with a 12 or 9".

Your goals arent hard to attain... hell I hit 506 with the very basic STS kit at 9lbs of boost. You need to insure what your final goals will be then backwards plan from there. I think with boost if your not looking to forge your lower end... build a setup that will yield 500RWHP at ~5psi. Then if you choose to forge your lower.. you can up to 8-10lbs and make 600+ without problems... dont go with less then 60lb injectors (only think I did in my build that I really learned to later regret was went with 42# injectors)
Hey im looking to get the STS kit on a fully stock motor... So i guess i shouldnt get the 42# injectors they offer? Also how long have u had ur turbo on there and has it been any troubles? Im lookin for just a basic street car.. Nothing outrageous.. 5-8 psi will be fine with em.. Of course ill be starting with 5 psi on the stock engine and as i get out of debt from the kit start doing things so i can go up to 6 then 7 and so forth.. It will be a long road but atleast i will get the turbo out of the way at the begining. I plan on having my car as a DD.. It has 19k miles on it so it shouldnt be to bad.. Also will i be required to change my fuel pup when i get the turbo or will the injectors be enough?
Old 09-29-2006, 10:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Hypnotiq
Hey im looking to get the STS kit on a fully stock motor... So i guess i shouldnt get the 42# injectors they offer? Also how long have u had ur turbo on there and has it been any troubles? Im lookin for just a basic street car.. Nothing outrageous.. 5-8 psi will be fine with em.. Of course ill be starting with 5 psi on the stock engine and as i get out of debt from the kit start doing things so i can go up to 6 then 7 and so forth.. It will be a long road but atleast i will get the turbo out of the way at the begining. I plan on having my car as a DD.. It has 19k miles on it so it shouldnt be to bad.. Also will i be required to change my fuel pup when i get the turbo or will the injectors be enough?
You will max your stock pump out, get a walboro 255lph pump. Be sure to use braided line when connecting the pump to the bucket, the hose you get blows out the side. Also, mod the bucket where there is the check valve, the valve can only flow soo much fuel untill its the restriction, under boost it will suck the bucket dry and burn the pump up.

I would advise getting the 60lb injectors if you plan on boosting higer later on. The upgrade is cheap, we sell the 60lb siemens for $419.99. These injectors are good for 700hp and tune like 42lbs.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:49 AM
9 Second Club

My input... I went from a Procharged D1SC stock block LS1 to an F1C blower on the stock block with plans for a 408. Now I am looking at stepping up to a custom TT setup. Of course this is just my opnion, it all comes down to how much you want out of it.

In my case I want as much as possible, and it seems that turbos will help achieve my goal a bit easier than even the huge F1C blower. Built 408 and twins will be coming soon. This is on a GTO... not an Fbody.