Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

LS1 Ring Flutter...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS1 Ring Flutter...

What year did they up-grade the rings in LS1 F-bodies to prevent this? Does ring-flutter cause a problem other than oil usage(excessive wear, broken rings, ect?)

I know...not so advanced, but not a concept the avg. bear is versed in.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loss power as well. I don't know about LS1 but in aftermarket world in the past few years ring groove technology has taken a major step as well as ring flatness. The ring grooves are machined with tolerances that 90% of the normal world can't even measure. As for power increases in a racing engine with this technology is very slim but the added result is the power stays with you longer such as 500 miles or a prostock drag engine making 30 passes and still make the same power. This would contribute to nascar guys making the last lap at times the fast of the race. This is a good point to bring up in the advanced section.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Banned

DO stock LS1 rings flutter?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

to my knowledge,they never had a problem like that.i haven't seen anyone complain about it anyway.....
Old 10-01-2006, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats Flutter?
Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe someone with some experience in this area can chime in. Intuitively, I would think that the main issue would be the rings seal would be lost, and as a result combustion pressure would escape past the pistons and into the crank case. So, measuring crank case or combustion pressure could be indicative of ring flutter? If the above is the case, my question would be-how is it determined that ring flutter is responsible for this loss and not something else. I think I'm answering my own question as I'm thinking through this. I would just would like to see some quantitative confirmation from someone with real data and not just conjecture being passed around. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TT632
Maybe someone with some experience in this area can chime in. Intuitively, I would think that the main issue would be the rings seal would be lost, and as a result combustion pressure would escape past the pistons and into the crank case. So, measuring crank case or combustion pressure could be indicative of ring flutter? If the above is the case, my question would be-how is it determined that ring flutter is responsible for this loss and not something else. I think I'm answering my own question as I'm thinking through this. I would just would like to see some quantitative confirmation from someone with real data and not just conjecture being passed around. Thanks in advance.
+1 and do stock ls1's have this issue?

Quick Reply: LS1 Ring Flutter...