cam mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:20 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam mods

I got a few bolt ons as of right now. Lid, bellow, MAC mids, Borla
Next week I gotta do some motor work. I have a lifter noise. I figured while I was at it I might as well do a few more things to it. I want to put in a small cam. I have been looking at the 212/218 114 comp cam.
My questions are that if I do this:
What other mods do I HAVE to do to make sure my motor can handle it (Im on a college student budget, if its too much I just wont do it)?
Does anyone have experience with this cam or one of similar specs? And how do you like it?
Do I need a turne and/or a torque converter?

I have a 99Z28 all internals are stock. A4 tranny.

Thaks guys.
Old 10-01-2006, 04:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with the 99s...your gonna HAVE to replace the oil pump and seals, springs (comp 918s recommended, new ls6s will work), lifters will tend to make noise.....a good set up would be a 224/224 cam 113-114 lsa.....very "streetable" smaller cam but bigger then what you want....good idle...and youll like it....youll need a tune with any cam really to get your money out of it...a stall can be added later because once thats added you need to add a few things to the tranny...cooler, tranny interals, etc.....if your not gonna install the cam and springs.....you WONT have the money to do it right now cam/springs about 500 bucks....pump 100+....tune 400....thats not including the work...which will be at least that amount.....

that answer it for ya?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can put a cam in it,but with your stock converter it will be a little doggier out of the hole,even with the small cam that you want to use.a higher stall converter will net you more gains by itself than if you just did cam only.and you don't HAVE to replace the oil pump.a lot of people do on the older camaros.the ls6 pump is better.as long as you have good pressure,you should be fine.
anyway,besides the cam your looking at springs,hardened pushrods,and gaskets to change everything.plus around 400.00 or so for a tune....
Old 10-01-2006, 01:28 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Where can I get the 224/224 and springs for $500? That doesnt sound like a bad deal. I have heard alot of good stuff about the 224/224 compcam. What kind of gains can I expect with this?