Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Stage 2 Heads And Cam Swap Making Lifter Noise Help!!1

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Patriot Stage 2 Heads And Cam Swap Making Lifter Noise Help!!1

I just got my patriot stage 2 heads and comp cam on a 114 lsa put on with ls6 inake , slp cold air lid , and qtp long tubes. The car is un tuned and idels good since i am a 6 speed. It runs and drives fine. But after like 40 minutes of driving it starts to tick and my mechanic says its the number seven lifter that is bleeding out or something. It just makes a ticky anoying sound i just changed the oil after 200 miles since the heads and cam were put on. I put 20 w 50 w valvoline race oil and it still does it . Is this normal and is there any way to fix the problem or can you explain why it happens. Thanks alot for your help .
Old 10-01-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be many things, but if it is just isolated to one cylinder I would suspect the rocker/pushrod or possibly dirt in the lifter during the engine work.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Could be many things, but if it is just isolated to one cylinder I would suspect the rocker/pushrod or possibly dirt in the lifter during the engine work.
How's the oil pressure when it starts to do this?
Old 10-02-2006, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have had this problem now since January, i have changed the lifters, oil pump, thinking it was an oil issue. When ever the oil got thin maybe after a couple thousand kms a lifter would bleed out completely then all hell would break loose,the motor would drop a cly,the lifter or even two would sound like a hammer hitting steel.
Turn off the motor let it sit for 15min fire it up and all would be good for 20min or so. Oil used was mineral until forged block was run in then mobil 1,I am now using Penrite 25w-60 synthetic trying a heavier weight.
Got told yesterday by an engine builder who seems to be up with the play that he believes that the Bronze valve guides are the problem,ie:not enough valve stem clearance, when hot they expand, oldish oil not as good, then the valves get grabbed.
Solution: bore out guides for a bigger clearance. When mine does it again the TSP Heads will be coming off, exhaust valves should have tell tale shiney stems. Hope this is the cause as i've been pulling my hair out for months.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Default engine

the oil pressure stay ok... But it only does it after running for a while. It ticks a bit and then gets louder. I think its the Lifter but i hate to pull the heads off agian to fix it. **** . Help guys
Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

what size pushrods are you running?did you or the installer check for the proper pushrod length?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

I agree. when you changed the cam it most likely has a smaller base circle (for higher lift) and that would require longer pushrods to compensate--or longer valves such as the ls6 hollow/sodium ones. Chances are when the motor oil thins out a touch they start ticking because of the smaller base circle. (Less lifter compression)

Ray
Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Default bump

so whats the solution for the noise cause i know they put in the right size push rods for the cam swap i think its just one lifter.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Does it sound like mine? (check vid below) I'm trying to track down a tap/tick from mine as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XqZUtN2xN0