Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

tracksion control question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tracksion control question

well its simple question but i want to get other peoples thoughts on this. is not having trac control a good thing or bad. can i get your experences and opipions on this
Old 10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

It's not a huge differance. All depends on how/where you drive. If it's a daily driver, seeing rain and snow, then it does help. If it's a weekender, nice weather, it's not worth anything. If you have an auto, you can always apply slight brake while accelerating in bad weather. In a stick, you'll have to learn to slip the clutch more to keep from spinning when it's slick out. It's definately nice to have in a daily driver, and adds a little to the resale value, but for a toy/nice weather, it's not needed.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krink85
well its simple question but i want to get other peoples thoughts on this. is not having trac control a good thing or bad. can i get your experences and opipions on this
Of course you have the added bonus of getting a 4 channel ABS system out of it vs. the 3 channel system in the non-TC cars
Old 10-01-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Nice to have

It's really nice to have in inclement weather. My '96 Formula was without and I find my current T/A much better having it. I do notice a difference.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

What's the differance between a 4 channel and 3 channel?
Old 10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Traction control has been acting up on my TA for a year or so. At first it would say "Low Trac" when I would slow to a stop sign or light. Then after a while it would say "low trac" for a while then go out and then my "ABS inop" light would come on. Now it almost always says ABS inop, but the only difference I have noticed is if I push her hard in the corners the tail likes to wag a little more, but I dont mind, and I can do some pretty good burnouts, John Force style, but I dont mind that either, I have driven it through some pretty bad rain, and its not that bad, It hydroplanes more than skids anyways, thanks to the wide tires.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the little button...on off...bad weather good weather
Old 10-02-2006, 02:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
What's the differance between a 4 channel and 3 channel?
4 ABS sensors, vs 3 ABS sensors. Traction control cars work using the 4 channel system, a reluctor ring and sensor on each wheel.
This setup has individual brake lines going to each wheel.

3 Channel ABS cars have 1 sensor and reluctor ring on each front wheel and one sensor mounted to the top of the diff case with a large reluctor ring mounted to the carrier. This setup has 3 brake lines, one to each front wheel and one brake line to the rear of the car that gets split at a T then goes to each caliper.

Also note that if you have a 3 channel system and you need to replace the housing, you need to use a 3 channel housing or drill the hole for the sensor in the top of the diff and install the reluctor ring onto the carrier.

4 channel cars can use either rear end, only things required are 4 channel backing plates (these have sensor holes in them) and the reluctor rings for the axles.

If you shear a wheel stud on the rear of a Traction control car, you need to pull the axle out, have the reluctor ring removed, install the stud, have the reluctor ring pressed back on, and install the axle.

Quick Reply: tracksion control question