The Astros season is over, dckheads.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default The Astros season is over, dckheads.

Season is over. Many thanks to Ensberg, Lane, and Lidge...See how close it was? If not for you guys, we would have walked away with the Central.

I'm still proud of what the Astros did in the first and last month of this season.

THOINX!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flipped back and forth between the Texans and Astros today. They proved once again that this year's team is heartless, worthless, and utterly useless.

I just hope Drayton has the ***** to admit they need to make some big changes and doesn't rest on "Well, they came within 1.5 games of winning the division, so we don't need to do much..."

-Mike
Old 10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I flipped back and forth between the Texans and Astros today. They proved once again that this year's team is heartless, worthless, and utterly useless.

I just hope Drayton has the ***** to admit they need to make some big changes and doesn't rest on "Well, they came within 1.5 games of winning the division, so we don't need to do much..."

-Mike
Had they won today and the Cards went on to lose tomorrow you would have been singing a different tune. Get off the bandwagon.

On a positive note were still working on getting Carlos Lee in the lineup. Definitely wouldn't hurt our cause next year.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TruDualed95Z
Had they won today and the Cards went on to lose tomorrow you would have been singing a different tune. Get off the bandwagon.

On a positive note were still working on getting Carlos Lee in the lineup. Definitely wouldn't hurt our cause next year.
*edited by me because I don't feel like starting a pissing match*

I've been critical of this team since it became apparent that they are rarely an offensive threat. I've been an Astros fan since I can remember, and as much as I hate to see them lose, they're still my team. I honestly would have been disappointed had they made the playoffs, because it's a very weak team offensively, and the bullpen still needs a lot of work. This way, at least we might see some real changes where we need them.

-Mike

Last edited by chupr0kabra; 10-01-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

I believe the changes would have come about at the beginning of the season if we didn't have Bagwell's contract hanging over our heads. Now saying you're a true Astros fan and would have been dissapointed had they made the playoffs when the playoffs ARE the reason any team starts the season...?

Have the Astros proven to have big offensive lapses? Yes. Have they proven to pull themselves out of the most unlikely ruts WITH their offense? Yes. Now all we need is to be more consistent and not have to make up weeks of lapses with 9 game runs. Once we do this well start making the playoff without having to make last second runs.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:52 AM
TECH Junkie

The astros need two more power hitters...then its light out NL.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

The Astros just demonstrated their incredible ability to give up. Its just about the way it is supposed to be. They lost game one with the Braves because of the insatiable ability to not generate run support for the #1 pitcher. Then the bullpen, which goes from hot to cold just about as fast as they go from cold to hot, comes in and doesnt do their job.... again. Game 2 was a losing one... until the 9th inning. And game 3 with the Braves was just horrible. Defense was the loser on that one, what was it.... 2 or 3 errors in one inning? Thats not a playoff team. Did they have some great runs? Sure did, unfortunately it was at the beginning of the season and the end of the season. Should they have had the same success all year round, it would be a different story.

We dont need power hitters, or a new bullpen. Both have demonstrated that they are capable of getting the job done. What we need is consistency.

Now, before someone tries to throw the bullshit *** "Bandwagon" card on me.... I have been an Astros fan all my life. It almost feels like I was born and raised in the Astrodome. I too, am very critical of them... but who isnt critical of their team? They may be in last place all year next year, but I will watch every game and continue to root for my home team.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Check 2 posts before yours. I think we both hit it on the head with consistency being the #1 factor. Yes our current offense can win games but they need to be more consistent. Same with the bullpen. Our defense has been insatiable and simply gave up errors when it hurt the most. Would it hurt to add another big bat or two? Hell no. What I'm worried most about for next year, along with everybody else, is going to be the pitching. One of our smartest moves was proving to Roy O. that we want him here by giving him a fat contract. Backe would have been there but he's out till '08. I'm waiting to hear from Clemens and Pettitte. Jason will need to take a huge step up and pitch more consistently. We need to teach Wandy another pitch or two. Fastball...fastball...curve won't cut it. It did temporarily and then the entire majors caught on to his one-sided game.

Anyone have anything else to add?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Junkie

At this point, I'm counting on Clemens and Pettitte NOT being back. Not because I don't want them back, but Pettitte's free agency and Clemens' potential retirement (along with the performance enhancing drug allegations for both) make them an unknown. If one or both come back next year, I see that as a huge bonus, and I will be happy to see it. Pretty much every team is hurting for pitching, so it's going to be interesting to see what we do this offseason. I don't want another offseason where we wait and wait on one or two players (Clemens and Beltran the last two years) without going out after someone else. I think you're absolutely right about Bagwell's contract, and I hope Drayton sees that a winning team puts more money in his pocket than a low payroll number.

Offensive/Position players:
  • Sign Biggio to a one year deal. Get it done. Every time I think he's done, he has another great season, but this year, his .178 batting average on the road was a pretty bad step in the wrong direction. If he starts out on a similar pace next year, Burke should get the lion's share of time at 2nd base.
  • Get what you can for Jason Lane, cut your losses, and admit that he's not the top-flight offensive player we all hoped he would be. Maybe we can get some bullpen help for him.
  • Ensberg should get re-signed, but kept on a short leash. Hopefully, this year was an anomaly and he will be back to form next year. Besides, he always does better in odd numbered seasons ('03, '05). If he starts to stink it up again, Garner should be quicker to put Lamb in.
  • Luke Scott should stay with the Astros. Getting rid of Lane will help this.
  • If we can get Tejada for Everett, Taveras, and one other player (depending on who that player is), make the deal.
  • Hunter Pence needs to move up to AAA. If he dominates there, either bring him up to the show or trade him before he becomes another "spent too long in the minors and is now too old to be a prospect".
  • JR House needs more than 9 AB's at the MLB level to see if he is our next catcher.
Pitching:
  • The Oswalt signing was huge. Glad he agreed to the terms, since there were some hard feeling there with the Tejada trade rumors.
  • All the young pitchers need more work on not grooving fastballs and hanging curves when they get behind in the count.
  • I hope Backe isn't Carlos Hernandez, Part II.
  • See what you can find in free angency and trades for more potential starters/relievers. Like I said, everyone needs pitching, so pickings will be slim.
-Mike