Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Modifications

Just bought a 98 Trans Am basic stock model. Looking to turn into a drag car.

Dealership is willing to add after market parts and do the labor.

The list of the parts off the top of my head are:

Flowmaster Exhaust/Headers
Manifold Intake
MSD Ignition Control
MSD Spark Plug Wires
Fuel Injectors / Not sure which ones, thinking 770cc?
Fuel Pump
Edelbrock Throttle Body
Nitto tires / Thinking 12 1/2?
K&N Airfilter Intake
Performance Chip

Let me know what you think. Alternatives to what I have and/or additions.

THANKS!
Old 10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

First of all theres no such thing as a Chip for the LS1, Flowmaster exhaust flows horribly, and dont make headers, Fuel Injectors wont add any hp it would be a waste of money if u dont change the internals out.

Heres what I would do:
Kooks Longtube Headers
Magnaflow exhaust
SLP Air Lid with K&N Filter
LS6 intake manifold(01-02 Fbody LS1s)
Shaner TB

Internals
TSP Trak Cam
TSP Stage 2 5.3L Heads

If you indeed get those then I would get some 32 lb injectors.

If you need anything else private message me and welcome to LS1tech
Old 10-01-2006, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea none of those mods are really "go fast" mods, but more supportive mods. check out this thread, it will help alot. remember, start with search and sticky's! https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html

have fun and goodluck.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah definately don't get flowmaster exhaust. And Kooks headers are very good, but also expensive. I would go with JetHots. And I don't think I would bother with the spark plug wires unless the stock ones are no good anymore.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

even pacesetters are very decent headers for the price!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the feed back. i want some bolt-ons that will get me closer to the low 12s high 11s. i have 4-5 grand to play with.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

well then dont spend anything without browsing the dynometer section and other sections, you will pay in the long run if you dont.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
yea none of those mods are really "go fast" mods, but more supportive mods. check out this thread, it will help alot. remember, start with search and sticky's! https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361959

have fun and goodluck.

I just read the post and most of the thing on my list were there but some of them weren't. what are a good head and cam? still thinking intake manifold and tb. headers and pipes. i want headers and pipe that will make my trans am sound sick.any idesa? thats why i thought flowmaster but if theres something better out there i would rather spend the money on something that i will be happy with.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your really wanting to go full race...set of afr heads, trex or ms4 cam, pacesetter headers, true duals, 90/90 setup (tb, manifold), dyno tune, and maybe a FI unit....but im not gonna really sit here and build you a total car, reading this site..you can do that yourself....you do understand that if you did those engine mods...youd be doing suspension, tranny, and axle work to....are you ready to pay to play?.....
Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Staging Lane

well i know that theres gonna be upgrading the suspension, tanny ect. i do have a little bit of money and i dont think 4-5 grand will get me very far. i'll probally spend 2-3 on heads/cam alone. i just want 2 do it right and not take any short cuts and would hate 2 have 2 go back and fix some of the crap i would put on it.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Tech Resident

Low 12's should be easy for $5,000

Cam (something big)
Pacesetter Lt's
TSP True-duals
Gears
Stall converter (auto)
Drag radials
Lid
Tune

Should net you around 400rwhp and low 12's should be easy if you can drive.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

By "some" used parts i can probably do high 11s with my set up If I had DR's and LCAs. I spent maybe 2 grand on everything in my sig just have to be patient. I have been seeing stage 2 5.3 L heads for like 800 on here, just get them re surfaced, etc.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Flowmaster Exhaust/Headers flowmaster exhaust lot 30 rwhp on a 420ish whp car...compared to a open cutout. they dont. make headers
Manifold Intake good choice..get a ls6...since you have a ls1. 400-500 I believe
MSD Ignition Control new coils? not needed unless your making serious power.
MSD Spark Plug Wires not needed unless your old plugs are garbage, my car has 90k on it and its all stock.
Fuel Injectors / Not sure which ones, thinking 770cc? american cars normally reference them in lbs...you won't need injectors till you 400+ rwhp
Fuel Pump not necessary at stock power levels, but upgrade when you upgrade injectors.
Edelbrock Throttle Body hit and miss..and lot fo people jsut prot there own and save a couple of hundred.
Nitto tires / Thinking 12 1/2? tires are measured in inches. its in mm. if you rear want a good time..you'll wnat soem full out slicks.
K&N Airfilter Intake lid good, k&n isn't
Performance Chip NEVER EVER MADE but a dyno tune will run ya 500 or so.

First of all....DON"T LET THE STEALERSHIP TOUCH YOUR CAR. they will anally rape you..without lube for labor..and mroe than likely not do it right. Unless you are personal friends with the owner or something and trust him with your life. if you only have 4-5 grand..I would build up the car first. Also, you'll want to do a lot of research...low 12s and high11s is not hard stock for a ls1..given a few things. You have the driver mod, a really good suspension and some sticky tires. I would do a built rear...9 bolt or 12inch moser/strange..ect whatever floats your boat. That'll cost you 2-2.5k then install. You'll also need a clutch for the high rpm clutch dumps on your new rear, ls7 is about 550 for the flywheel and everything..installed your looking at around 1k. that leaves you with 1.5k. Next you want to firgure out..what are your future plans...n/a, f.i., n2o... ect you have 1.5 that would be good for highend stainless headers and a catback, but not for install. pacesetter...which are just as good cost 400-500..catback 5-700 hundread...then install.

practive driving too. a few things...saying you want a low 12/11 second car doesn't mean much. A stock car can have full drag suspension, slicks...ect and get pretty close to low 12s with stock mph. so essentially you have a low 12 second car...but on the street..if you have a car that will run 12s at a much higher mph because of lack of traction..he would wipe the floor with you.

Research research research before you buy a single part. Also, find a local sponser around you..they are all over the place.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Ya the dealership is gonna take atleast half of your 4-5 K You need to read up on install articles, follow instructions and post and problems u run into on here for help. Trust me once you learn how to work on a car u will save not only yourself thousands of dollars for labor but ur family and freinds as welll.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a Procharger and be done with it.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I would never put a procharger on a stock aluminum block(bottom end)(Will blow up). Atleast get a BPR forged 347.

Just start in this order:
Air Lid
Catback
Intake
Headers w/ optional Offroad pipe
Clutch
Injectors
Cam
Heads
Tune

Enjoy.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

As for tires, I used to work in a tire distribution warehouse and learned that Nittos are downgraded Toyo tires made for a much younger audience. Also, the company that uses the most advance technology in their tires is BFGoodrich. Although I hate my BFG tires.

Try something with a much softer compound than Nittos make.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Put your 4-5 grand into a High yeild CD for a few months and do some research and plan your build you'll be saving money and making money all at the same time.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ICRAZY6
Put your 4-5 grand into a High yeild CD for a few months and do some research and plan your build you'll be saving money and making money all at the same time.

lol well the thing is that the dealership is putting the over all price on the car with the parts and labor. so i have 2 figure out what i want in it. its kinda hard cause i need a list of things 2 go in it by tommorow. i hate rushing things like this but its the only way of putting money into the car i want. thats the reason i was asking what should go in it. someone was telling me 2 supercharge it. any ideas on that?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Veteran

no dont supercharge unless u have a completely diff. forged motor.

Get this and you wont be sorry:
TSP Torquer Cam (112 LSA)
TSP Stage 2 5.3 L heads
Spec Stage 3 clutch
Pacesetter Longtube headers ORY
Magnaflow catback
LS6 intake
32lb injectors
(440rwhp/420 rwtq setup)

Case closed, make your list .