Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone went the other way with a swap???

Old 10-02-2006, 12:41 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone went the other way with a swap???

how many people have gone from an LS1/LT1 back to a older GEN engine??? i.e. there's a Silverado somewhere on the net with a ZZ502 or 572 crate motor in it... its just very unique and looks like a nice setup. its running an 80E tranny... Just wondering if there are any out there...

perhaps a 396 BBC in a 02 camaro??? everyone bring the sawzall's
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell, with emissions in most places it's damned near impossible to get away with it.

Here in GA, we have some serious BS laws. You cannot install an engine for a car older than your current year of car (i.e. no 1995 engine in a 2000 car). If you have a 4cyl vehicle, you cannot upgrade to a V6 or V8. If you have a V6, you are allowed to upgrade to a V8 - although there may be a restriction that it is only allowed if it was an option for that particular model of vehicle (I forget). If you have a deisel, you can convert to regular gasoline, but there is no information on whether you can do the opposite route, so that is probably against the law also.

I should be happy - I am not living in Cali. But, reality is ... man! They're pretty strict
Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

since when have I EVER given a POOP about emissions LOL... I'll see if I can find that truck somewhere and post up pics... it was SUPER clean and pulles off very nicely... I just wonder what it sounded like....
Old 10-02-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lucky you if you don't hafta deal with emissions!

Someone was recently selling an S10 around here with a 350 BBC swap into it on Craigslist. Must have had it registered in some other county than mine
Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

there is a 02 silverado around here with a ZZ crate big block on it. bought new as a V6 and swapped with like 10k on it. very good looking truck

ive heard of first gen SBCs in 4th gens
Old 10-02-2006, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shifty`
Hell, with emissions in most places it's damned near impossible to get away with it.

Here in GA, we have some serious BS laws. You cannot install an engine for a car older than your current year of car (i.e. no 1995 engine in a 2000 car). If you have a 4cyl vehicle, you cannot upgrade to a V6 or V8. If you have a V6, you are allowed to upgrade to a V8 - although there may be a restriction that it is only allowed if it was an option for that particular model of vehicle (I forget). If you have a deisel, you can convert to regular gasoline, but there is no information on whether you can do the opposite route, so that is probably against the law also.

I should be happy - I am not living in Cali. But, reality is ... man! They're pretty strict
You F'ing serious!?!? Thats fucked up. I may not be able to do my S10 LS1 swap seeing as how I live in ATL. If thats seriously the case, I guess that leaves me with buying a 94-96 Caprice and modding the hell out of the LT1.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I don't want to be like some people on other forums who talk without knowing what the hell they're talking about, I'll offer some info for you

http://www.cleanairforce.com/engine.htm

That should give you everything you need to know - that's where I learned everything about GA that I know from.

One of my good friends is in the GASSIT group and ended up doing just what you're talking about (buying the Impala SS and modding the crap out of it). Pics of his teardown and buildup are here:

http://www.shadoelord.com/Album/

There are lots of extra crap in there - but he's had to rebuilt the front end twice (wrecks) and after we overheated at lunch one day, something ate crap and he decided to rebuild. Lots of good pics and some funny captions - just click on various albums and you'll see.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh - hey - read that **** because it's funny. The best part of all of it is this:

"Enforcement action is generally not taken for engine switching at the state level".

So, they spend the whole schpeel to tell you "OMFG U CAN'T DO THIS" and then slide in a paragraph saying they won't do anything about it.

But - if you want to know a semi-straight answer, call a half a dozen emission shops and ask them. They know the law better than anyone.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shifty`
Well, I don't want to be like some people on other forums who talk without knowing what the hell they're talking about, I'll offer some info for you

http://www.cleanairforce.com/engine.htm

That should give you everything you need to know - that's where I learned everything about GA that I know from.

One of my good friends is in the GASSIT group and ended up doing just what you're talking about (buying the Impala SS and modding the crap out of it). Pics of his teardown and buildup are here:

http://www.shadoelord.com/Album/

There are lots of extra crap in there - but he's had to rebuilt the front end twice (wrecks) and after we overheated at lunch one day, something ate crap and he decided to rebuild. Lots of good pics and some funny captions - just click on various albums and you'll see.
LOL, OH ****. Whose Buick Century is that? Was it your friends? I have the EXACT same car. Color and everything, lol. Its a reliable ride, just to damn slow.

Also, I live behind a mall that has an Emissions Testing place in its parking lot. I'll swing by there and ask them if its ok to switch a 4cyl for a V8.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 10-02-2006 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure if I'm positive which car you're talking about (Can't find a pic of a Buick Century )
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Originally Posted by Cop Car
there is a 02 silverado around here with a ZZ crate big block on it. bought new as a V6 and swapped with like 10k on it. very good looking truck

ive heard of first gen SBCs in 4th gens

do you happen to have a pic or tell me where I can find a pic?? I'll bet its the same damn truck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: anyone went the other way with a swap???