Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ati pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ati pulley help

well finally i got the car started after alot of problems.. anyways the freakin front cover seal leaks.. .. i have the ati balancer and it was probably the hardest pulley to install ever.. i tried boiling it like it said in the instructions but didnt help much. any one else has a better idea, i ve heard heating it up with a torch.. the 1st time i put it in it took alot of effort and a big *** compresser and torque gun..
Old 10-02-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The interference fit requirement for the ATI is 0.0007"-0.0009". Did you measure your crank and pulley hub? They require honing if they don't fall into this range, which is likely the reason you had such a difficult time installing it. Mine went right on using a very small amount of anti-seize per the instructions, even though my fit was off by 1/10,000 with an interference of 0.0010".
Old 10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The interference fit requirement for the ATI is 0.0007"-0.0009". Did you measure your crank and pulley hub? They require honing if they don't fall into this range, which is likely the reason you had such a difficult time installing it. Mine went right on using a very small amount of anti-seize per the instructions, even though my fit was off by 1/10,000 with an interference of 0.0010".

so basically measure the diameter of the crank and the pulley hub and if doesnt have clearence of the measurement you said hone the hub right? i didnt want to do anything to the hub without makeing sure what to do.. hey ive also heard that people used a torque to heat up the pulley inorder for it to slide in easier.. heydid you use a key to put on the pulley and crank?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

by the way what did you use to measure the hub/ crank?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

A machine shop can measure the hub internal diameter as this will require some special tools. I measured the crank snout with a micrometer that measures in the 10,000's. The hub diameter should be smaller than the crank, by 0.0007"-0.0009". ATI will hone the hub for $40, but they are in Baltimore, which is a long ship for you from the west coast. Please note, I have the steel hub, if you have the aluminum hub the instructions and fit are different.

Yes, I also pinned the crank with the ATI kit. I then used the ARP bolt that goes on with a lower torque value and is lubed with their lube so later removal won't be an issue. I also made a tool to press on the hub from threaded rod.

Do you have the ATI instructions that came with the pulley?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vettenuts
A machine shop can measure the hub internal diameter as this will require some special tools. I measured the crank snout with a micrometer that measures in the 10,000's. The hub diameter should be smaller than the crank, by 0.0007"-0.0009". ATI will hone the hub for $40, but they are in Baltimore, which is a long ship for you from the west coast. Please note, I have the steel hub, if you have the aluminum hub the instructions and fit are different.

Yes, I also pinned the crank with the ATI kit. I then used the ARP bolt that goes on with a lower torque value and is lubed with their lube so later removal won't be an issue. I also made a tool to press on the hub from threaded rod.

Do you have the ATI instructions that came with the pulley?

yeah i do have the instructions that came with it but unlike you i have the aluminum hub which says it will expand when heated up, but it just didnt seem right going in so hard
Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't remember, but I thought the aluminum hub also specifies an interference fit but the interference numbers were larger.