Looking for Porter Cable Polisher

Old 10-02-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Porter Cable Polisher

hey everyone, im looking for a porter cable polisher, i went to ToolMart on Texas Ave and they told me that porter cable no longer exist? they said dewalt took them over. is that true? i wanted to get that 7424 polisher, everyone on here says its the best, but i dont know where to find it in houston. ne suggestions? thank everyone!!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

you can order from this site.
http://www.properautocare.com/bufpol.html

or check out Lowe's, I have seen it there.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:11 AM
Teching In

You can get it at lowes, the model number is different I think but it's the same thing besides the counterweight...
Old 10-03-2006, 02:18 AM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AdamsPolishes.com is where I bought mine from.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Lowes. PC 7336 is the model number. It's the exact same tool as the 7424.

-Mike
Old 10-03-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

cool thanks guys
Old 10-03-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey i just checked lowes site the 7336 is a sander
Old 10-03-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want the PC with pads and flex backing plate and all that good stuff order it from tropi-care.com

steve is a great guy and will answer any of your questions and offers great help!

I believe the whole package is around 150 or so.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by osvaldo
hey i just checked lowes site the 7336 is a sander
Dude, trust me. It's exactly the same tool. I own one. It even comes with a polishing pad (but not a very good one). You will need to buy the flexible backing plate and pads separately.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html

-Mike
Old 10-03-2006, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works great! Get some Menzerna Polish, too. You'll be super impressed. Like owning a new car!

http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=547&p=2805
Old 10-03-2006, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Dude, trust me. It's exactly the same tool. I own one. It even comes with a polishing pad (but not a very good one). You will need to buy the flexible backing plate and pads separately.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263061

-Mike

I THINK all of that come's out to be more when piecing together a kit like that then to just order from tropicares site.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6
I THINK all of that come's out to be more when piecing together a kit like that then to just order from tropicares site.
It depends. I caught the polisher on sale for $99, then bought the backing plate and a pad/polish kit from ProperAutocare and saved a few bucks. I don't know if any of our sponsors carry it. I checked Brilex Solutions and they don't appear to. Maybe Eastwood?

-Mike
Old 10-03-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok so ima buy the one lowes, where can i go to buy the pads? what pad numbers would yall suggest? ima probably apply some scratch x, some gold class, then maybe a polish...
Old 10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use megs pads because they are easy to come by and cheap I use both # 8006 and # 9006.. Lake Country and Sonus make very good pads that are used by a lot of people around here.

don't use ScratchX with the PC it is for hand use only

Polish, then wax .. that was not the order you mentioned doing it ..

I would suggest somethign other than gold class .. it looks great, but the durability is not the greatest .. NXT or # 21, topped with Meg's #26 or Mother's Pure Carnuba would be better choices, in my opinion ..

what you decide to use for pads, and for polish should be based on the current condition of your paint (level of cut of the polish and pads, not the brand, brand is more of a personal choice)

the LSP you choose is more of a personal preference .. most of the good ones work very well, it just depends on what you think looks better on your car. do you like the look of a Carnuba or a synthetic better ?

If I was doing your car, I would probably use something along the lines of this process

wash
clay
polish .. #9 or #80 (depending on the shape of your paint) with PC
#21 x 2 with PC
Mother's Pure Carnuba by hand
Old 10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
It depends. I caught the polisher on sale for $99, then bought the backing plate and a pad/polish kit from ProperAutocare and saved a few bucks. I don't know if any of our sponsors carry it. I checked Brilex Solutions and they don't appear to. Maybe Eastwood?

-Mike
That's a good deal. I know TC use's the lakewood pads and i love them.
I believe i spent around 175ish for everything I've used and my customer's are very pleased with the work and the PC capability.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok well since this is the first time using a electric polisher i really have no preference yet, so gipraw i will take ur word for it. My girlfriend is gonna buy me 7336 porter cable polisher at lowes as a birthday gift! shes badass! my paint is not horrible, i have waxed it many times by hand, but not recently, i will definately wash it then clay bar it. hey man whats a LSP? i need to do something about swirls, will the polish and the #21 take care of that? when i would wax by hand i would use a cleaner wax, then the X, then finish with the gold class. i guess a cleaner wax and X is not necessary ne more?

do u use the 8006 and the 9006 for 2 different things? what store can i find the pads and polishers and wax at?

ok so to sum it up.
buy the 7336
buy pads # 8006 and #9006
buy polish #9 or #80 and wax(?) #21 and pure carnuba wax

i will wash, clay
use #9 or #80 with one pad
then use # 21 with a different pad twice
then carnuba by hand

do u need to wash the pads? or are they one time use?

finally...what motion do i use the polisher with? is there a streaming video online that will explain how to use it? i dont want to **** up my paint! are those meguiars videos ne good? im sorry man its my first time using one of these, ima a rookie... thanks man!!!

Last edited by osvaldo; 10-03-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For the motion i usually do on the hood and trunk back area front to back meaning from the hood to the glass. On the sides i usually go from the ground up as I have seen better results with the light reflecting.

I also use different methods for different amounts of work. Just time, practice and reading will get you where you wanna be. Good luck!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

8006 = polishing pad
9006 = finishing pad
LSP = Last Step Product
#9 or #80 .. probably don't need both
#21 is expensive, about 50 bucks plus shipping .. unless you buy a sample from someplace online, like ADS. for your purposes, NXT will work .. #21 is the professional version of NXT

you need a pad for each purpose, and a pad for each product. not sure if there is any place local to buy pads, I do all mine by mail order.. check megs online, there is a link for local Meg's distributors, call them and see if any carry pads.. I know there is one out on 249 somewhere, not sure if they have pads.

the #9 or #80 should take care of your swirls, but without seeing the paint, can't say for sure.

you can probably go to a NAPA or Pep boys and get everythigng but the pads and the backing plate .. probably will have to order those.

just don't use the crappy pad that comes with the machine when you buy it @ Lowes (like Mike already told you )

I would recommend going to meguiars online, and reading everything you can about using the G-100 (that is Meg's version of the PC) you can get almost all of your questions answered by reading that forum.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

one last thing, what's a backing plate? do i need that? how much?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.properautocare.com/flbaplfordup.html

You will want the 6" plate. $19 + shpping at ProperAutoCare, might be able to find it cheaper. Meguiars has it on their site for the same price, so if you buy your pads from them, get the backing plate while you're at it and save money on shipping (http://www.meguiars.com/?pro-backing-plates/Dual-Action-Polisher-Backing-Plates).

If you read that link in my earlier post, you'll see why you need one.

Here's an excerpt:
Flexible backing plate:
The flexible backing plate is an accessory that is sold separately from the polisher, but is a must for anyone who buys the polisher for use with their cars. Simply put, the flexible backing plate is a hard rubber disc with an attached sheet of the “hook” side of Velcro. It threads into the polisher, and allows you to quickly change foam pads. They come in various sizes, but the 6” backing plate is the most commonly used size for the foam pads.

-Mike

Search this Thread