General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clicking in 01 TA

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clicking in 01 TA

It's not mine(wish it was) but a buddy of mine has an 01 WS6 with 25K on the clock. Takes really good care of the car. Hardly ever races. No burnouts. Basicily drives like a grandpa(no offence). Anyways, he too the car to the gm dealer to have them change the oil. He got it back and a ticking noise was coming from the front of the car. He said that it sounds to him like it's underneath the car. He took it back and they replaced some kind of tranny sensor (he's not sure which one). Didn't help. If you guys want anymore info, just post and I can get it from him. The car is an A4 and bone stock. He's thinking of selling the car because of this problem. I don't want him to do it because it's a sweet car. And hopefully if I can beat him this summer I should get a lot more respect.

I know this isn't a whole lot of info to go on, but if any common problems ring a bell, or you have an idea what it could be please post up. Thanks guys.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....you whats bad, i changed my oil about a week ago....started clicking....thought it was the oil...nope, thought it might be a valve, rod, or lifter....nope.....got under the car....and it was coming from the tranny.....took it to one of my guys and he confirmed with me.....my torque converter was on its way out.....now im finishing up my A4 build this week with a new 3000 stall....

does it tick like a isuzu? and does the ticking increase with rpm?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Ticking increases at higher rpm's, but it's harder to hear...I'm guessing from the engine noise. Why would a TC go out on a car with that few of miles?
Old 10-03-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

they just do....just because parts have few miles doesnt mean they wont fail....that sounds exactly like how my car was...you even stated yourself that something was wrong with a sensor there....go take it back...
Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Ok, I'll tell him. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

anytime