Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Stuck In a Puddle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Stuck In a Puddle

Hey all, i havent really posted up here before i usually just browse, i was looking for some advise on what the problem with my car might be. I have an 01 SS with a full SLP exhuast. Ill start off with the story, so last night I was driving up to meet a few buddies of mine, and i guess the town that i was headed to has problems with flooding, well i ended up driving into a puddle that was probably about a foot deep. As i was going through it the car sputted out and died on me. So i tired to start it back up and it wont crank, all the interrior light in the car just go out each time i tired. I ended up having to push it to high ground on the street and leaving it over night. I was just wondering on what everyone's thoughts might be. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DONT TRY TO START IT AGAIN!!!!!!!

There are plenty of procedures online for what to do with a hydrolocked engine. The first thing not to do is try to start it again. You are basically looking at draining the oil, pulling all of the plugs, adding fresh oil, cranking it over with the plugs out to shoot as much water as possible, changing the oil again, then maybe trying to start it once you feel you got all the water out of the cylinders.

If you get it started and there is water in one of the cylinders, most likely you will destroy the engine. My buddy did that with his lifted dodge ram. Good indication of how deep the puddle was... Anyway, he fired it right after it hydrolocked. It started...but almost immediatly bent two of the connecting rods.

Get her towed home, and do your best to get the water out. Ide do another oil change pronto after you get it running. You dont want any water in there...so the more oil changes the better. Ide use some cheapo oil for the first couple...then finish up with your regular good oil.

Justin

P.S...Im sure someone else will chime in with some extra steps and things to check out. The problem with it not cranking is either due to the electronics getting wet...or the motor being hydrolocked. In either case, you want to dry the starter off real well, and check all your fuses and all. But dont try to crank it until the plugs are out. Yes even number 8...

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 10-03-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Teching In

The water wasnt up to the intake so im not sure how it would be hydrolocked, i will defintally try that though.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah but you said it was probably 1' deep. Even when moving slow...the water will push infront of your car and end up double that. It doesnt take much to hydrolock an engine. All it has to do is get a good splash/wave of water thats just right and it can get sucked in.

I really hope you didnt hydrolock it...because it sounds like you have a nice car... But at the risk of really damaging the motor, it would be worth your time to make sure its not locked. My buddy didnt do that. We went through a puddle that was more than a foot deep, kill the truck instantly. He tried to start it back up. Struggled a bit, but did fire. It immediatly developed a rod knock. Upon taking the motor apart, the connecting rods looked like "S" shapes. Water never even made it to the rear of the engine...Just got sucked right in by the air filter.

Good luck bro! Hope she is ok for ya!

Justin
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

wow, this is literally the 4th "I thought my car was a submarine" story i've heard in the last month...
Old 10-03-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

water can't be compressed. so as soon as water gets in on the compression stroke, the piston will stop moving because of the water and stall the engine. trying to turn over the engine will force the piston into the water..which can't be compressed and bent a rod. Get it towed, make sure you leave it in neutral when getting it on the flatbed and moving it. jsut pull the plugs and turn over the engine..do a bunch of oil changes..ect. Hopefully you didn't do any real damage trying to turn it over more.

Quick Reply: Got Stuck In a Puddle