Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing springs (quick) questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing springs (quick) questions...

I'll be changing the springs on my H/C car soon and have a couple of quick questions. When reinstalling the (stock) rocker arms, I've been reading the correct final torque specs should be 24 ft/lbs after an initial 20ft/lb pass.

1) What are the affects of torquing the rocker arms down to these specs if the motor has been sitting for several weeks and the lifters are no longer pumped up?

2) Is it really true that it doesn't matter what position the cam is in when torquing down the rockers? I feel like I'm doing something wrong by not cranking the motor over so that the cylinder is at TDC before tightening the rocker down.

Thanks in advance guys (and sorry for the noobish questions)!
Old 10-04-2006, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

on question #2 i have heard the same thing, that it does not matter. personally, i like to have all of the pressure off of the springs when i torque them down.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Launching!

I've heard of torquing them down, then turning the motor over and torquing them again.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
1) What are the affects of torquing the rocker arms down to these specs if the motor has been sitting for several weeks and the lifters are no longer pumped up?
None.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. None.

2. Correct, the service manual specifies how to do this starting at TDC. There a specific valves that are tightened in this position, then the motor is turned one turn and the rest are done. Many people don't do this, and will argue it is not necessary. If you understand how fastener preload/stretch works, you will go by the service manual.

I don't have the specifics on which to do at each turn as I am at work, but I did type it in recently for someone else. Might turn up in a search.