Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

Who runs exhaust Evacs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 AM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who runs exhaust Evacs?

Im having a crankcase pressure issue and blowing out valve cover gaskets, i thought about running a catch can but that seems like just a band aid, but dont have the money to run a vacuum pump right now...

in comes the EVAC system, my concern is i currently have an open header car with a wideband on one collecter, would i be okay by running a flange with very small short test pipe for the evac fitting to be welded to ?

i know ideally you want the collecter because it creates the most pressure but i dont really want to move the wideband. any suggestions or is this also just a dinosaur old band aid fix?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We run an EVAC system on our Z28. If you place the tube at the correct angle and in the collector, the pipe should stick passed the wideband sensor (if using the OE bung location). You want it in the collector because that is the highest source for vacuum.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

Be warned, do not run this set up if you run full exhaust. With a full exhaust system the pressure in the exhaust sytem is greater than what is in the crankcase. Even if you run the one way check valves (mostly found on emmisions air [pump setups), you basically deadhead the crankcase pressure so it pushes out the next weakest place (the front and rear main seals). You will end up with leaky seals and an undercarriage covered in motor oil. It works great on open headers though.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:30 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

this will be on a open header car, its in the OE bung ill see if i can get it to clear. thanks for the advice ill try to post results if anyone has pics it would be greatly apreciated.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

If you have enough pressure to blow out the valve cover gaskets you need to fix the ring seal.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about a vented valve cover as in the old days?
I take it your PCV system is way overloaded?

Im with stock1090, if you have that much you are losing gas pressure past the rings. Time to sort that out, maybe with a hone and new rings etc.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

A bit of excess blow by can be band-aided with fancy breathers and such, but anything substantial is unstopable except with an engine re-build.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

thanks everyone, im gonna try this out if not then ill look for other options, id really hate to tear it down right away the car has only 6 passes and did this on it last trip to the track, fine before that and fine on the dyno. also the car had valve cover spacers im moving to a one piece fabbed valve cover.

Quick Reply: Who runs exhaust Evacs?