General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cooling fans not working HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fans not working HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys here is the problem car tempeture gets over halfway and the fans still dont come on i just replaced 2 relays that i hope are the fan relays at least thats what the fuse cover says is there anyother relay i have to replaced? or what should i do ? all fuses are good so far please help
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are sure they are the relays, there are three. There are the two light gray relays, side-by-side, and the third dark colored relay to the right of those two.

They are the bigger relays, in the top right hand corner of the box.

If replacing them doesn't work, check for voltage from inside the box where the relays plug into. You might also have to get under your car and check the fan motors to see if they are working.

I thought that was my problem but my fans were kicking on. I just couldn't see them.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why did you replace the relays?, what does the temp. reach? and they wont come on regardless?.....1. go ahead and check your t-stat and make sure its not jammed close...2. make sure the coolant is circulating...3.test the load on the wires that power the fan.....check back
Old 10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Teching In

i have replaced the 2 light gray ones should i replaced the black one now?another thing i dont have a lid on that top fuse box but on the bottom box the lid says fan 1 fan 2 fan 3 is that the box u talking about or the top box?
Old 10-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by staringback05
why did you replace the relays?, what does the temp. reach? and they wont come on regardless?.....1. go ahead and check your t-stat and make sure its not jammed close...2. make sure the coolant is circulating...3.test the load on the wires that power the fan.....check back
ok i havent check the thermostat or the coolant circulating the temperature reaches all the way to red line almost
Old 10-04-2006, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

go ahead and change the other fuse....and actually physically check that the fan motors are coming on
Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by staringback05
go ahead and change the other fuse....and actually physically check that the fan motors are coming on
Ok i checked the water and was circulating i replaced the other fuse and added about 1 gallon of water then as soon as the temp gauge red like 220 fans came on and i took the car around the block and everything is fine now thanks for the help
Old 10-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Good, im having a similar problem, ill check that shitznet out...
Old 10-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

I am having a similar problem:

My fans stopped coming on automatically. I had the DTC's scanned and it showed that the Fan 1 and Fan 3 relay were throwing codes. So I replaced both relays, and now it is not throwing a fan code but the fans still will not turn on, If I turn on the fans with the manual switch, they come on just fine.

Also, my low coolant light keeps coming on, even when the coolant is full. WTF?
Old 10-05-2006, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

So it is obviously not the fan motors, check the connections in the box (where the relays plug into), to see if there is voltage there. If there isn't, you might have to trace it back until you get to a point where you see that there is power.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by terco
Ok i checked the water and was circulating i replaced the other fuse and added about 1 gallon of water then as soon as the temp gauge red like 220 fans came on and i took the car around the block and everything is fine now thanks for the help
anytime

as for everyone else with the problem you got 3 fuses, two motors, possibilties of air bubbles, non-circulation of fluid, leaks, and a pump.....check these before you freak out...and come check back with us