Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts turbo setup w/ my mods?

Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts turbo setup w/ my mods?

as you can see from the mods i have 4.10 gears and qtp lt's w/ cut outs. how will a sts turbo kit work w/ these mods. is their kit reputable w/ u guy? i also have the hp tuning software so will i need to get any kind of special tune from the manufacturer? are there any other turbo options out there? and finally will a turbo setup function well w/ a h/c package down the road?

thanks in advance for the advice
Old 10-04-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re:

Originally Posted by slow2000z28
as you can see from the mods i have 4.10 gears and qtp lt's w/ cut outs. how will a sts turbo kit work w/ these mods. is their kit reputable w/ u guy? i also have the hp tuning software so will i need to get any kind of special tune from the manufacturer? are there any other turbo options out there? and finally will a turbo setup function well w/ a h/c package down the road?

Hey Buddy From the mods you have you will not be able to use those cutouts. Also those 4:10 gears will hurt allot. I had 4:10 gears with my STS set-up and it seemed like everytime when the turbo was just about to spool up you would have to shift. I went down to a 3:50 gear and it pulls allot allot harder. You stay in boost allot longer.But other then that I had no problems with this set-up. Works awesome.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree switch the gears, get rid of the cut out get new y-pipe and wrap the exhaust.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Restricted User

Different gears would certainly help but for the time being you could do a STS kit. Ideally, you would want a mid-range 3 series gear.

I would think STS could help with the tune, if not, there are alot of knowledgable guys on here. You will have to adjust your tune for an FI setup.

There are no other turbo setups out there.

Yes, any setup, whether it be nitrous, n/a or turbo will definately benefit from heads and a cam. As long as the cam matches the currently used combination of parts.

Give us a call if you have any questions. Good luck
Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow2000z28

You should have no issues running LT's with the STS. I am running DynaTech stainless and ceramic coated LT's on my car. No issues. The LT's will cause a bit more turbo lag initially because of the cooling effect on the exhaust gas temp (vs log manifolds). But, the gain from the LT's is there when driving normally. The STS doesn't really "kick in" until about 3000 to 3400RPM on my car, so for normal driving it is a "transparent" mod.

The turbo will respond well to a cam (see my sig), bu the absolute gains from a cam are less with FI. I saw about a 45 HP gain with the cam in NA mode...but dyno time since shows this gain is down to about 10HP. It has to o with the fact that insted of "sucking air" into the combustion chamber, it's now being crammed in there.

Heads are alsways a good power adder and will benefit a turbo too. Having ported heads is not as big a concern, though. Again, it's because the air is being force-fed into the cylinders. The real gain of the head is going to a larger design to lower compression and thus be able to + boost. I have a set of LQ9 heads waiting to install on my car, which will drop the compession ratio about a point and allow me to safely run 8PSI vs the current 5PSI.

Kinda long, but hope this helps.

Search this Thread