General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Clicking/Tapping noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clicking/Tapping noise

I have a clicking/tapping noise that seems to get a little worse when the car gets up to operating temperature. I'm thinking (hoping) exhaust leak around one of the collector flanges. Any ideas as to other causes?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

could be piston slap. does it eventually go away?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kaos didnt you just have this problem?
Old 10-04-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's doesn't sound like it's commign from the top end, and it's not overwhelmingly loud. Like you have to be parked in between two cars to hear it well. stock heads and internals as well on a 60k mile car, i hope the pistons aren't hitting
Old 10-04-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

get under the car and make sure its not coming from the tranny...is this a A4 or a M6?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

my knocking didn't get worse until I opened up the throttle a bit and raised rpm. i used to have piston slap happen intermittently before but it went away so i thought nothing of it. but if it gets worse with higher temp then i'm stumped.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Loose plug? That can cause that kinda noise , loss of compression
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i said get under the car and make sure where its coming from...either the engine or tranny.....it could be a cracked flexplate or broken tc....which could cause a knocking and increase as rpm does....if coming from engine it could be exhaust or something in the heads
Old 10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=jdiddyws6]I have a clicking/tapping noise that seems to get a little worse when the car gets up to operating temperature. I'm thinking (hoping) exhaust leak around one of the collector flanges. Any ideas as to other causes?[/QUOTE

Maybe we both have the same problem, but I describe mine as a sewing machine in operation on the drivers side. I took it in to a speed shop locally, one of their techs came out and looked at it. He determined that it was that exhaust flange. The best thing that could happen to me almost, it was an excuse to drop some money on a pair of headers AND no cats. Now I dont give a crap what my crapmasters sound like cause at least it'll be louder out the back end.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's an A4
Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done a plug change recently? Check your air tube connections to make sure they're not loose, had that happen to me last time
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did a plug change when i put my headers ons, which was at the beginning of the summer, but i did have an intake swap about a month ago, so i may have something loose. thanks for the heads up
Old 10-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Tech Resident

sounds like an exhaust leak to me. an exhaust leak will make a ticking sound that becomes worse with higher rpm's. check around your manifolds for a leaking seal or maybe even a hole blown into them. if there is no leak at the manifolds, check around where the exhaust tubing is clamped together or around any welds. i bet something's leaking.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Launching!

Still havent gotten my heads put in yet, but I notice as the days go on and that micro hole (can I say that here?) is opening up wider day by day, I can smell exhaust gas inside the cabin if I'm at a stop light with the a/c or vent on. That's a dead give away that it's your exhaust flange wouldnt you all think?

Off Topic: My freaking wife makes fun of me when she brings her sewing machine out to sew my kids rips in their clothes, "This machine reminds me of something I've heard recently" ......that witch!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
Still havent gotten my heads put in yet, but I notice as the days go on and that micro hole (can I say that here?) is opening up wider day by day, I can smell exhaust gas inside the cabin if I'm at a stop light with the a/c or vent on. That's a dead give away that it's your exhaust flange wouldnt you all think?

Off Topic: My freaking wife makes fun of me when she brings her sewing machine out to sew my kids rips in their clothes, "This machine reminds me of something I've heard recently" ......that witch!
lmao shes hateful eh?
Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
12 Second Club

Have you figured out what the noise is? I'm having the exact same issue. My car has 67k, bone stock, and just developed a tick that sounds the same as what you describe. I doesn't really show up until the car warms up. I thought it might be a lifter, but I now I'm thinking it might be exhaust. It's only on the driver's side.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It was an exhaust leak for sure, had to get sumone to tighten the headers on the passenger side. they ended up pullin the starter and two coil packs to get to it.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Well, I hope that's my ticking noise is. It doesn't really make any noise until it warms up, so I'm hoping it's not valvetrain related. I was planning on headers in the next couple of months anyway, so that should eliminate exhaust leaks. I'll also be changing the spark plugs while it's apart, so that should rule out a loose spark plug. Other than that, I'm not sure what it could be. I can't even hear it until the car is warm...
Old 10-31-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put ure foot on the brake, and with the car in gear press the gas, if it gets louder when u hit the gas, it's definitly an exhaust leak
Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Launching!

I've remedied that "ticking/sewing machine" noise by instead of getting an exhaust gasket on, by getting some Pacesetters in place. That will cure 2 of my problems, the sewing machine noise and the catalyct *sp* converter noise that came loose from it's "glue" inside the housing.