Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if the VSS is working or not???

Old 10-04-2006, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if the VSS is working or not???

Is there a way to tell with a test light if the VSS is working or not? I tried running it with the drive line off and couldn't get a reading on my speedometer, so I checked the wires with a test light and nothing. Should I have seen current to one of them? Is there another way to tell if it's working?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Test light, maybe, but probably not. An old fashion analog multimeter would do the trick though. You should see the needle swing in a regular fashion. If I am not mistaken, the voltage produced will increase with rpm. If you have a very fast digital meter you should be able to tell too, but mine ain't that fast, ...
Old 10-05-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think the voltage will change.. it the number of pulses that will increase with speed.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

bczee is correct
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

I tried checking last night with a meter, I checked for volts, amps and ohms, couldn't get anything. I've been checking the plug just to see if there is any power getting to the sensor and I can't get anything to show at the plug.

I'm electrically challenged but it seems like I should be able to read some form of current coming from the PCM to the sensor, and I can't. But I'm wondering what kind of current it is?

Any other suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-06-2006, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

bczee, GM-LSx, Sorry, but the voltage does change with speed. The type of sensor used for the LSx series is a variable reluctance type sensor. As the reluctor wheel rotates past the magnet on the sensor, it generates a voltage. The faster the tooth passes the sensor, the greater the voltage produced, and the higher the frequency generated. ABS uses the same style of sensor.

Here is a link to Delphi's product page for Variable Reluctance sensors. Note the table about half way down. Voltage output varies from .25 to 400 volts.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Billyjo, you will not see any voltage on either wire. The sensor itself generates the voltage when the reluctor wheel spins past it. I believe the only way you will see voltage is by using the AC scale on the meter across the two wires of the sensor. But the drivetrain has to be spinning for you to read anything.

Where is your VSS located, in the NV4500, or the transfer case? Are you running the VSS directly to the speedo, or are you using the output from the PCM?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Jeepinpete,

I installed the VSS in the transfer case, then I'm using the output from the PCM to run the speedo.

I wonder how close the sensor has to be to the reluctor ring? Maybe that's my problem.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am reasonable sure the ideal clearance is .020".
Old 10-07-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Ok, so by adjusting the depth of the sensor (or proximity to the reluctor wheel) I was able to get some reading on the speedo. It wasn't even close to what the speed should've been but I guess maybe my speedo needs to be calibrated. I haven't had a chance to take the K/5 out on the road yet so hopefully that solves it.

Thanks for all the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to tell if the VSS is working or not???