Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to get a pair of 3" pipes over the K ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How to get a pair of 3" pipes over the K ?

I have decided to dust off a bunch parts sitting on the shelf and fineally make my own front mount... since its winter and I have the time again. This way, I can make it to fit "my" exact desires... and use up the boxes of parts/piping/etc.

That said, im going with some twin Garrett t4/t4 Blowzillas...or similar...I forget now... but Im gonna move the radiator forward (cut the support) and all that BS...

The issue Im having is I want to use the truck manifolds for simplicity sake... (easy plug changes too!). Using the truck mani inhibits putting a pair of 3" downpipes over the passenger K member (up pipe in way partially)... and I def do not see a 3" pipe fitting on the driver side (I have a BMR K).

That said... any ingenious ideas..or experience.. or thoughts? I can cut and weld anything (but obviously would like a way not too cut up the K) so any ideas will be appreciated/.

I will see how long this project takes to build, but with some help, my goal is to have most of it done by the end of the month. I simply dont think 3" pipes under the K will be a great idea..lol
Old 10-05-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

look for rice etr's diy 2
Old 10-05-2006, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks boss.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about you merge those two 3" pipes into one 4" pipe then go through the passengerside. alot of people have done that.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
how about you merge those two 3" pipes into one 4" pipe then go through the passengerside. alot of people have done that.
I thought of that late last night, but that would break a cardinal rule. The flow is decreased...not alot..but more than 10% if I did my math right. Cardinal rule states to get bigger if anything.... I may have to, but hope not to. I entertained a pair of 4" oval under the k-member as they are only 2.45 inches tall...and my CAS cold pipes went under a 2" each and I never had an issue...but I beleive I read that the oval exhaust disrupts proper flow post turbo.
Im sorta stumped. I could custom a solid mount on the driver side...but uggg, thats kinda messy...
LOL, I said maessy...the radiator support is now out, and up pipes made... and a 25x19 radiator is resting on a modified support. Here we go again! This time with a plasma cutter ...poor poor 30th vert!
Old 10-05-2006, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id go oval... matter of fact it was what I was gonna suggest before opening the thread.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

I read a article about the exhaust "swirl" coming out of a turbo...and how the oval may disrupt flow in measurable ways...wish I could ine the article.. was a few years ago.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O boy, he's cuttin on the 30th!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

No, Im slicin and dice'n.. all neat and clean like.... well... tryin... sotra...err...anyone have a jackhammer?

Seriously, all is clean, except I wanna yank the motor to paint the bay... it never ends.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i say oval piping and tubular k memeber, i think thast ur only hope
Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
i say oval piping and tubular k memeber, i think thast ur only hope
I have a tubular K... and now thats a challenge cause Im full of hope... perhaps thats all the motivation I needed! Thanks Tre !
Old 10-06-2006, 04:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

im going roun to oval under the kmember and back to round after the tranny
Old 10-06-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i would go oval and under the tube k member..BUT I wouldnt sell yourself so short on not being able to get two 3 inch pipes over the pass side. If you made you own turbo header on that side, you should be able to.

With time, patience, and most importantly the right tools, you can do anything.

I actually have a turbo header here that allows a 4 inch DP to pass through a stock k member, above the pedestal that id sell you. It may need to be cleaned up a bit. You can certainly mount a turbo off of it, and possibly run two 3 inch pipes over through the passenger side, one over the pedestal, and one under the pedestal. this would allow you to run a truck shorty on the other side

the turbo header faces foward and sweeps up.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

pipes under the k member are the devil
Old 10-06-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ping King
pipes under the k member are the devil
Yes, I now have some sliiiiiiight scrapes on my downpipe and crossover . Already thinking about a tubular k, already have 6.0L truck manifolds, not 100% ready to drop A/C yet I'm at stock ride height too.

Oval under a tubular I imagine would be fine.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ping King
i would go oval and under the tube k member..BUT I wouldnt sell yourself so short on not being able to get two 3 inch pipes over the pass side. If you made you own turbo header on that side, you should be able to.

With time, patience, and most importantly the right tools, you can do anything.

I actually have a turbo header here that allows a 4 inch DP to pass through a stock k member, above the pedestal that id sell you. It may need to be cleaned up a bit. You can certainly mount a turbo off of it, and possibly run two 3 inch pipes over through the passenger side, one over the pedestal, and one under the pedestal. this would allow you to run a truck shorty on the other side

the turbo header faces foward and sweeps up.
Thanks for the option, we made the uppipe already for that side so were gonna move forward at the moment with what were doing.. .I will keep this in mind though... again, THANKS.