Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Eratic idle - bad fuel injectors?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eratic idle - bad fuel injectors?

I put this in the electrical section, but it could also be a fuel problem, so I'm also posting it here. My son just replaced his battery with a Red Top Optima 2 months ago. After that he started having an idle speed problem that may be either fuel related like injectors, MAF, etc or electrical, I can't tell. Two weeks ago, the battery went dead at a friends after a few hours. He eventually charged the battery to 12.2 volts (Optima says it needs 12.9) and after starting the car, he's getting 14.0 volts on the battery which means the alternator is working. However, when he tries to step on the gas, the idle goes crazy, dropping to 300 rpm, going up and down. He cleaned the terminals and retightened them, but still the same problem. He's made mods to the electrical system, added stuff, etc, so I suspect it's one of the mods, but he says he disconnected them and the problem is still there.

I suspect something is "on" when the car is turned off which is draining the battery, which is one problems, but the crazy idle may be a 2nd one, possibly a bad fuel injector, dirty MAF, or something else.

The last time this happened, the problem disappeared the next day and worked well for 3 weeks. Is this electrical, fuel or something with another problem? We took it to the dealer and it didn't throw any codes. Could a defective battery do this (that would be news to me), or is it in one of the mods he did (which is what the dealer thinks).

The fact it didn't throw any codes has me perplexed. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually, the car has to "re-learn" itself and the idle will go up and down until it learns again.. I know mine jumps all over the place for awhile after my battery has been takin out, but, it does not take long to re-learn though.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Usually, the car has to "re-learn" itself and the idle will go up and down until it learns again.. I know mine jumps all over the place for awhile after my battery has been takin out, but, it does not take long to re-learn though.
Yes, that's what happened. It was calm after a few minutes. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to butt in, but I'm having the same type of issue, since my pulley swap my car has been confused at where to idle, after a few seconds it figures it out, but it does it everytime I start it. Any idea's? (Pulley's been in almost a week)

Search this Thread