Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air bag replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 01:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag replacement.

I'm asking here cause I know some of you guys take your airbags out...

When you replace your air bags, do you just plug in the new ones and your good to go? Or do you have to replace the module also? Any write ups on replacement? Thanks, Steve.
Old 10-05-2006, 06:42 PM
FormerVendor

Anyone have any info???
Old 10-06-2006, 12:12 AM
FormerVendor

come on guys, please...
Old 10-06-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

if it hasnt been wrecked you should just be able to plug it right back up...make sure the fuse is pulled then hook it all back up
Old 10-06-2006, 01:45 AM
FormerVendor

What if it has been wrecked?? Do I need a new moduel?
Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Launching!

I'd like to know about this too. My airbags blew and I'd like to know what I have to replace as far as the SRS system goes.

From what I've gathered, there ARE NOT sensors that cause the airbags to blow which need replacing. Instead, I think there's a solid state electronics module, called the Sensing and Diagnostics Module (SDM), under the center console that senses acceleration. I think it's THAT module that tells the airbags to fire. In fact, that module is a black box of sorts. It records a few parameters in the last 5 seconds before the airbags blew. I'm wondering if this module needs to be reset somehow in order for it to work again? I see mixed reports on what to do as far as replacing or reusing goes. All this is just speculation on my part and is deduced from what I've read from other posts.

So basically, I have the same question. My car has been wrecked, I want to replace the airbags so they work again...what needs to be done?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call a body shop that you can trust. Surely they have worked on cars whose airbags blew.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Finding a body shop you can trust isn't that easy. I prefer to not give my money to a place that's more interested in taking my money than fixing my car properly. If I do the repairs myself, I have the assurance that it was done RIGHT. Plus I might learn something in the process that I can share with other people on this board.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 PM
TECH Regular

I have everything on my car and I want to get rid of the air bads, sensors, and whatever else is needed. I want to do a little weight reduction. With a cage and 5 point harness I won't need airbags. Just pm me and let me know if your want to buy the parts and I'll sell em for a good price
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waveoff
Finding a body shop you can trust isn't that easy. I prefer to not give my money to a place that's more interested in taking my money than fixing my car properly. If I do the repairs myself, I have the assurance that it was done RIGHT. Plus I might learn something in the process that I can share with other people on this board.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean have them do it. I meant call them up and ask them what's involved and what you need to do (yourself). I said find one you can trust, meaning "they know what the hell they are talking about".

Both airbags are gone from my '94, and guess who did it?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TWS
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I didn't mean have them do it. I meant call them up and ask them what's involved and what you need to do (yourself). I said find one you can trust, meaning "they know what the hell they are talking about".

Both airbags are gone from my '94, and guess who did it?
Ahhh, I gotcha now! That's a pretty darn good idea.