General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Draining Gas Tank

Old 10-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Draining Gas Tank

Ok, I posted this in the Fuel forum but am not getting any response ... Any tips for the best way to drain the gas tank? I need to remove about 10 gallons. I plan to remove the line at the fuel filter, slip a hose over the line and drain it into some gas containers. I presume I should leave the cap on to maintain pressure. Should I turn the ignition on to run the pump or just leave it off? Any other tips or ideas? Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can try it that way, but the pump only comes on for about a second when you turn the key on. It will keep pumping if you crank the engine, I believe, but thats probably not the best way to do it. The only real way that I found was either to drive it, or syphon it.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Any tips for the best way to drain the gas tank?

DRIVE IT!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do like you stated.

Then remove the fuel pump relay and jump the terminals on the switched side of the relay.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Do like you stated.

Then remove the fuel pump relay and jump the terminals on the switched side of the relay.
That's how we did it (assuming you don't have a fuel problem that's causing you to remove it, like contaminated fuel).

We placed a hypertech fuel pressure gauge on the end of the fuel rail, then removed the gauge from the end of the hose. Stuffed the hose in a gas can, put an aircraft breaker between the relay terminals and switched it on (a jumper wire can work too, just watch for sparks around the fuel vapors). It pumped the whole tank dry in about 15-20 minutes (as I remember, but this tank was completely full, the car was towed from the gas station.....).

Be careful when working with fuel, we don't want any accidents or explosions.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Ok, I posted this in the Fuel forum but am not getting any response ... Any tips for the best way to drain the gas tank? I need to remove about 10 gallons. I plan to remove the line at the fuel filter, slip a hose over the line and drain it into some gas containers. I presume I should leave the cap on to maintain pressure. Should I turn the ignition on to run the pump or just leave it off? Any other tips or ideas? Thanks for any advice.
You pompus ***. I have more trouble than you could imagine trying NOT! to drain my gas tank.
PS. SUB $2.00 GAS PRICES HERE!!!( regular ) SHREVEPORT,LA!

how about disconnecting the fuel filter, rigging a hose, and KOEO pumping it into something?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

When I did the fuel pump in my 96 S10, all I did was siphon the gas out with a hose. It worked perfectly. Got almost every drop of gas out.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
how about disconnecting the fuel filter, rigging a hose, and KOEO pumping it into something?
You pompus ***... Did you read any replies to the thread? The pump does not continually run with the ignition on, the pump only primes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Draining Gas Tank