Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

sts intercooler question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sts intercooler question

ok Im running the STS. before intercooler it spooled very fast and was at 7 psi after intercooler I referenced the wastegate at the brake booster and now I get 6 psi and it takes for ever to spool. the piping could be better and the intercooler is 27'' long 5.5'' high and 2.5'' in and out lets and core is also 2.5''. the intake temps before the intercooler were 150' to 180' +. now the highest the temp has gotten is 88' when I did a blast from 0 - 100 but seemed much better before. any help ?? ~Guy
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would keep it simple at first. Are you sure you don't have any boost leaks? My car didn't see that much of a difference in spool time after I installed my intercooler. However, I found a boost leak at one point and cut of 500 rpms to hit 8 psi.

You can get some pcv piping from Home Depot, and and a cap. Drill a hole in the cap, and put a valve stem in it. Cap off the charge pipe where the throttle body usually is. Use a compressor to pressurize the piping. Walk around the car to listen for any leaks. I found several big leaks by doing this. Let me know if all this makes sense.