View Full Version : Which cutout to buy?

Bossz28
10-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Ok I've heard a lot of talk about QTP cutouts, I also found one frmo jegs which is by Race Ready Performance. There not bad in pricing, for some reason I always thought they were more money. Anyways which do you prefer. Which one won't fail me lol! I rather pay a little more for qaulity and save myself the trouble, so let me know what type of cutouts you guys run, and your reviews.

Race ready
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/800/815/815-EC300D.jpg

QTP
QTP Cutout (http://shop.quicktimeperformance.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=25)

99'Formula
10-05-2006, 11:48 PM
To be honest with you, I got the QTP a while back when I was first modding. 2 months later the cutout motor stopped working. Called QTP....got a new one, no big deal. About 3 months later ditto, quit working. I ended up just taking it off and putting a plate on there with washers and nuts. I know it takes away from the coolness factor of opening it while you drive and all that, but a manual one is A LOT cheaper and realiable. But then again when mine was working it was pretty cool. Just food for thought. Good luck with the decision.

Silver02TA
10-05-2006, 11:55 PM
good ole stainless QTP manual cutout here :judge:

Snuffles
10-06-2006, 12:01 AM
After doing some reading I went with a DMH cutout.
I didn't hear too many bad things about them, you always hear horror stories with E-cutouts.
They are a few bucks more than other cutouts but they have a 3 year warranty.

I have about ~$1,500 invested in QTP products but after spending a good chunk of change on a piece of junk Y-pipe I've since steered clear of them.

BYUNSPEED is still running a McCloud cutout special in the sponsor section if I remember correctly.
Check them out. I think they have a 2 year warranty ... but don't take my word for that.

I have no opinion on the Race Ready ones from Jegs because I've never heard of them.

Bossz28
10-06-2006, 12:08 AM
good ole stainless QTP manual cutout here :judge:

Really tho guys? Am I better off with a manual. I won't complain on the price difference lol! But are they really that much of a pain in the ass. I like to goof around on the streets so I figure the electric would be cool.

How loud will the cutout be. I've been ok so far with the LT's through the Borla, "with no restriction plate". No cop complaints so far, but driving around casually with the cutout you think I can pull it off? I have an M6, I can keep the rpm's down. What do you guys think lol!

Bossz28
10-06-2006, 12:10 AM
After doing some reading I went with a DMH cutout.
I didn't hear too many bad things about them, you always hear horror stories with E-cutouts.
They are a few bucks more than other cutouts but they have a 3 year warranty.

I have about ~$1,500 invested in QTP products but after spending a good chunk of change on a piece of junk Y-pipe I've since steered clear of them.

BYUNSPEED is still running a McCloud cutout special in the sponsor section if I remember correctly.
Check them out. I think they have a 2 year warranty ... but don't take my word for that.

I have no opinion on the Race Ready ones from Jegs because I've never heard of them.

How does your DMH handle? Any issues with it?

Snuffles
10-06-2006, 12:20 AM
How does your DMH handle? Any issues with it?

Yea, see, there's a slight issue with that.
I haven't installed it yet. :jest:

Once my B&B exhaust arrives (6 week wait) this Wednesday I'll put it on. :bang:

02TransAm/Batmobile
10-06-2006, 12:27 AM
i was thinkin about doin an electric cutout too, . . heard to many complaints about the motor, even though there are hundreds of successful stories, i didn't wanna chance it and go through the hassle, and i save myself 150 bux by buyin a simple summitracing.com cutout, . . eh, who needs stainless steel?? i think its only 24 bux too! plus your a m6??? definately go that route!!!!! :D

Bossz28
10-06-2006, 12:29 AM
Yea, see, there's a slight issue with that.
I haven't installed it yet. :jest:

Once my B&B exhaust arrives (6 week wait) this Wednesday I'll put it on. :bang:

Oh ok lol! That's cool, well hopefully I'll have my answers by then. :jest:

i am looking into DMH now, they look pretty legit, the fact that exhaust is all they do pleases me. Seems like a good product. I know a guy in my club with a DMH cutout now that I think of it I'll have to find out from him. Thanks again for the help tho.

ShevrolayZ28
10-06-2006, 01:58 AM
I'll probably get a stainless steel manual cut out. But if I had money to burn, there is a non-sponsor that makes an electronic cutout with a guillotine closing mechanism. I think it looks like a winner, but it costs over $500. :cry:

SSmokin99
10-06-2006, 02:09 AM
plus your a m6??? definately go that route!!!!! :D
What would it matter if he's an M6 or not? Curious because I was thinking about a cutout too. I'm wondering if it will be louder than my GMMG

staringback05
10-06-2006, 02:17 AM
i like my good ole flowtech....no problems

miamifan3413
10-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Jegs manual CO here.....best $20 bux i've spent yet:) I keep mine open most of the time , so for me, the electric CO seemed like a waste of $$$ however, with the electric u do have the luxury of opening/closing it at the flip of a switch

98redformula
10-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I have the QTEC like 99'formula and have the same motor troubles that he mentions. When it is working it is great, but I seem to go through about a motor once a year. I am on my 3rd of 4th motor at present. This can be quite a pain, but since I live in NJ it is not much of a problem. Every time it goes, I take a little ride to QTP and they fix it right up. Good luck with your decision.

chrs1313
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
check out the one off ebay i got that one and it is a true 3.5 inch cutout to max flow of all exhaust out...the qtp measures 2 5/8 inches...and i believe it is actually cheaper and he has now stainless y pipes really nice...had mine for over a year and i use it alot and still seals up perfectly

jay_99z
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Had a QTP went through 2 motors and decided to try McCord. Much better and cheaper. Has worked flawless for 7 months now.

Snuffles
10-06-2006, 03:59 PM
What would it matter if he's an M6 or not? Curious because I was thinking about a cutout too. I'm wondering if it will be louder than my GMMG

I think what he was trying to say is since Boss is a 6-speed he can keep his RPMs down if the Po-Po are around he is running an open manual cutout.

The cutout will be louder than your GMMG but the GMMG has a much cleaner sound.
If you're running GMMG right now it's almost a waste of money to put a cutout on.

Order 66
10-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I have the QTP for about 4 years now i think. Works like a champ and never skipped a beat. I had a mccord and that didnt last very at all. Friend had dmh and that crapped out and was impossible to get in touch with dmh. He sold it and runs a qtp like me and never had a problem. All they guys by me run the QTP :)

02TransAm/Batmobile
10-06-2006, 09:09 PM
manuals can make the cut-out pretty quiet by shifting to the next gear when police are around, . . cops gone? put it in a lower gear rev up and dump the clutch!!! :lol:

HOSS
10-06-2006, 11:54 PM
QTEC here, no problems, been running it for 3 months, open and close it l ike 50000 times when I drive it. Stock muffler+cutout+lopey cam=lot of fun

Bossz28
10-07-2006, 12:14 AM
QTEC here, no problems, been running it for 3 months, open and close it l ike 50000 times when I drive it. Stock muffler+cutout+lopey cam=lot of fun

Ok then so what I'm seeing here seems to be the luck of the draw I guess. Possibly how well there taken care of to? The car hibernates in a heated garage all winter and I only drive it in good weather during summer, regardless if I get a dud cutout won't matter what weather I'm having, but my point is that probably the guys with DD's will get more issues since there using there's more often.

Ok then I've narrowed it down to Qtec,DMH,McCord if this is narrowing down lol!

Mssingkid
10-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Stock muffler+cutout+lopey cam=lot of fun haha, thats the setup i'm doing too... EB LTs/Race Y-pipe/DMH/Stock Exhaust... Quite when i need it, and loud everywhere else.. :)

bitchncamaro
10-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Well I've had 3 QTP crap out on me in the past 4years.(lost the whole motor wile driven down the road at 90) Looking for someting diffrent for the 69.On gmmg its a lot louder open aleast at high speeds :devil:

WestSide
10-07-2006, 05:17 PM
I just got my catback hooked up to the downpipe finally, I have my cutout about 3-4ft after the turbo. Would the tremendous heat at WOT pose any problems to an electric cutout?

NHRAMAN
10-07-2006, 05:25 PM
QTEC....3 YEARS almost..... :judge:

orangeapeel
10-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Plain jane cutout if I had to do it.

d james
10-07-2006, 09:48 PM
I love my DMH I've had it now for 2 years, and did have a problem with it sealing and he said its rare that that happens, but once in a while a bad one come out. Mine didn't leak until 2 years after buying it, and he had no problem sending me out a new one. I simply returned my old one and he sent me the new one. Thats customer service! I haven't found any other company with a better warranty, so even if his costs more its well worth it. The swith fits perfetly into the lightbulb housing inside the ashtray. I removed the light and just stuck the switch in and now the switch is hidden, until I open up the ashtray.