New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any help on basic information for a new SS owner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any help on basic information for a new SS owner?

Just purchased a 2000 Convertable SS from a friend of mine, have always been a camaro enthusiast, and had a '95 5spd before i deployed to iraq, just couldnt afford the v8 until now.... anyways, kind of a three-part question.

1. Can someone explain SLP? he said it went to the SLP factory, but about all i know about SLP is that its somewhat equivilant to Saleen for mustangs? an aftermarket performance company that adds certain extras to stock vehicles prior to sale? please correct if I'm wrong... My friend said it was SLP Stage 2, but is there a way to verify that it is "stage 2" and what exactly does it mean that it is stage 2?

2. What would be a good next step for (affordable - under $1500) a good horsepower boost? not really too familiar with engine specifics, so the more detailed explanations the better.

3. Whats the purpose of a strut tower bar? It has one, and I'm assuming it has to do with holding the frame togather better when the rear wheels are kicking around a lot of torque, but i really have no idea.

if you guys got any other random helpful advice for a total newbie, it would be much appriciated.

Semper Fi.

Nate
Old 10-06-2006, 06:34 AM

SLP started the "FireHawk" in the late 3rd gen cars. It was about a $30K option package. They did the first "SS" in 96, which was a Z/28 SS. It was an add on option package to the Z28. In 98 I believe GM did all the SS's and only ones who got SLP options went to SLP. Options are listed on your passenger side door if it had any added. Most options were like floor mats, Rims, car cover, etc., Some performance. The dealer also gave you an SLP catalog where you could order the parts.

No suck thing as a stage 2. We are not mustang guys with the stage 1 appearance, stage 2 breaks, stage 3 some performance. like saleen & roush. They did have a 345 hp package, but it was just a lid and cat-back exhaust.

For $1500 ir it's a Stick car, Headers & a tune. If an Auto Stall converter, Gears & tune.

STB is just a suspention mod. it is supose to stiffen the front of the car for better cornering. Subframe connectors would be a better use of the $.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Stage 2",..... Slap your frend in the face for us please!!!

Look,.....Performance wise,..an SS camaro is basically a Z.28 with a higher flowing exhaust, Rased airox, cosmetic package( functional hood and a rear spoiler) and a 1.5" droped suspention.

A Strut tower brace is basically used to help keep your front tires planted to the ground on corners. Lets say you make a hard right turn,.....the strut tower brace helps to keep your right tire planted to the pavement through the turn. It keeps your front end more rigid/stiff.

As for the Saleens,........ I've beaten one in stock form before. You gotta look at it this way,....a saleen is a 281ci supercharged motor,....you however have a 346ci motor. Evens things out quite a bit!! Stock for stock,..a Saleen will kick your *** 50%, if not a tad bit more of the time. Heres the kicker tho,........you can modify the **** out of an LS1 more that a Saleen! Hell,...just add some gears and a higher stall(higher stall if you have an auto) and even though you haven't brought up your hp,.you'll easily kick the crap out of a Saleen.

As for a $1,500 HP budget,..its a great start! Id say if it doesn't already have an after-market ari-lid,.get one!($99)....Higher flowing exhaust(arround $400),...Long tube headers and a Y-pipe(with or without cats if youd like)(depending on how much you wanna spend for em,....$500-1000(Add $300 if your using cats). Your choice on the quality). You could even look into an ECU reprogram for $250-300 If you'd like also. I'd start there if i were you. But honestly,.IMO,...I'd hit up the FREE mods for you car first though too.(do a search,...you'll find em on here. go to my cardomain link to see a few pics as examples if you'd like)

And I'll say this again,.....Slap your friend for the "Saleen Stage 2" compairison!!! F.Y.I.,..Saleen doesn't have a "Stage 2" or even a "1" or "3". Roush has that!! And heres how it works with Roush by the way
Stage 1: Body kit
Stage 2: Body kit and suspention/brakes
Stage 3: Body kit, suspention/brakes and Supecharger

Saleen: NO STAGES!!! Its basically a "Stage 3" Roush with a different body kit and the name Saleen attached to it instead of Roush if you wanna look at it that way!

Last edited by WS6 Rampage; 10-06-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:52 AM
Banned

Wow!! hardly over an hour and you guys are already so much help, thank you so much..!
Old 10-06-2006, 06:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kscise
Wow!! hardly over an hour and you guys are already so much help, thank you so much..!
No problem! We're like the LS1 version of the "GEEK SQUAD"! Just slap your friend and we'll call it even! Man up soilder,.....Slap him!! Now go and do it before I throw Full Metal Jacket on
Old 10-06-2006, 06:58 AM

So why are there non supercharged Saleens?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by davered00ss
So why are there non supercharged Saleens?
Depends on the year. For the most part alot of people with the much earlier non-supercharged models just upgraded on their own. Kinda like how alot of us with 98,9 and 00 LS1's just added an LS6 intake Or like alot of 00,01 and 02 Cobra owners that needed to add a supercharger to their DOHC also since 03 and 04 automatically came with it.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Banned

well, he's a pretty good friend, so i just punched him in the back of the head when he wasnt looking... hope that evens things up for the foul "stages" reference.

semper fi. (ps. im now kind of drunk) (pps. i really punched him in the back of the head)

Nate.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kscise
well, he's a pretty good friend, so i just punched him in the back of the head when he wasnt looking... hope that evens things up for the foul "stages" reference.

semper fi. (ps. im now kind of drunk) (pps. i really punched him in the back of the head)

Nate.
LMAO!! THATS AWSOME!!!
(I feel like i'm play'n devils advocate and I LIKE IT!!!)
Old 10-06-2006, 07:14 AM

Not related, but I really want to race one of the new Saleen's.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

I already did! It beat me by .438 of a second. Other than a full stock trim he was pack'n DRs. And thats with my mods. You and your mods will send a new Saleen Mo Fo walk'n home with a dunk'n log hang'n like a tail between its legs!
Old 10-06-2006, 12:58 PM

What times did he run. I tried to street race a few that are around, but they wanted nothing to do with it.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:59 PM

The red one I saw did look great. Supose to have 500hp? ( not confusing it with the Shelby GT500) I want to race on of those too.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

The red one I saw did look great. Supose to have 500hp? ( not confusing it with the Shelby GT500) I want to race on of those too.
500hp?!,... Thats not stock! Someone messed with it.

Shelby GT500,.........Saw one at the track,........those suckers are fast. They're pretty heavy though from what I hear.

I honestly can't remember what my exact times were but that .438 loss is burned into the back of my head from that day.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:22 PM

The S281 Extreem a local guy has is supose to be 500 hp. There are a couple local GT500's, but I doubt they would race. They are getting $30-40K over sticker on them around here.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

The S281 Extreem a local guy has is supose to be 500 hp. There are a couple local GT500's, but I doubt they would race. They are getting $30-40K over sticker on them around here.
He must have raised the boost then cuz that ain't nowhere near the stock numbers.

AWSOME! Stick it to em Ford! lol Yea,....alot of people baby those cars. Its sure to be a collector's item in the future tho so I guess I can understand that mentality a bit. At least with this first year run. Second year cars better get their ***'s on the tracks though.

The guy at the track dyno'ed his after he got it and it came in at 441rwhp.,...lol...not bad!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:54 PM

I went to the local ford dealer intent on geting a blue one with wite stripes they had. He said what they wanted and my jaw dropped. (I was keeping the SS to, not trading it in) I would have apid the sticker, but not over it.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

what price did they quote you out there?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Sticker was $45k, they wanted $80K
Old 10-06-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Are you frig'n seriouse?!!