Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods before dropping in the motor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods before dropping in the motor?

I'm currently bulding an FC LS1 swapper and the motor is just sitting in my garage and I'm contemplating whether or not to upgrade a few things with it before it goes into to the body for the ease of installation factor. I would post this on torquecentral.com but they never verify any of my accounts so it's no use.

Basically I want to put a mild cam in it, valvetrain, ported oil pump, and a pulley.

The only thing that makes me reluctant about the cam is that I'm currently not willing to spend $800 for a set of long tubes.

So..should I do the cam swap, pulley, pump with the motor out because I'm wagering there won't be much room to do the install without the motor at least coming partially out. What do you guys think? anyhelp is much appreciated. what kind of power will I be losing thru the stock exhaust manifolds with one of the 224/224 cams.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did and highly recommend it...way way easier to work on
Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw in Z06 springs, cam, etc. they can be had cheap, it's a quick couple dozen horses, supposedly very easy to do while engine is out.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shifty`
throw in Z06 springs, cam, etc. they can be had cheap, it's a quick couple dozen horses, supposedly very easy to do while engine is out.
I thought about this, but I think it's too mild for what I eventually want the car to be. It's not some extreme drag car since I've been Autocrossing for the past couple years so like a 224/224 on a 114 should suffice for what I want to do with the car. I'm just not sure how well it will perform on the stock manis.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's cool. just tossing it out there i should have done it to mine before finishing my swap, but ... it's so easy to take the front clip off my truck that it doesn't matter
Old 10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heimbo
I thought about this, but I think it's too mild for what I eventually want the car to be. It's not some extreme drag car since I've been Autocrossing for the past couple years so like a 224/224 on a 114 should suffice for what I want to do with the car. I'm just not sure how well it will perform on the stock manis.
could always just do the cam and then the headers when money allows.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by justanova
could always just do the cam and then the headers when money allows.
I think that's the plan, just don't want the car running like crap because a lack of supporting mods.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

I think it should be fine with the cam and stock manifolds or possibly some Z06 manifolds which are cheap and good for a few HP. Although not the optimum setup you would definitely gain alot of power. You would want to retune it after you got the headers but it should definitely be worthwhile.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using Z06 exhaust manifolds on my '01 LS1 with the logic that they originally supported a 405HP motor. Certainly not as good as long tube headers (though some argue the difference is a lot less than many believe), they are a nice tri-Y shorty design.....and they are way less prone to leakage and much better at managing under hood temperatures. Yup, can be had cheap on Ebay. In the end, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the motor.

Andy1
Old 10-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Andy1
I'm using Z06 exhaust manifolds on my '01 LS1 with the logic that they originally supported a 405HP motor. Certainly not as good as long tube headers (though some argue the difference is a lot less than many believe), they are a nice tri-Y shorty design.....and they are way less prone to leakage and much better at managing under hood temperatures. Yup, can be had cheap on Ebay. In the end, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the motor.

Andy1
I would be all for this, but I just bought some stock exhaust manifolds from an 02 TA not realizing that the Z06 ones were better.

However looking at their design I don't think they will fit in the RX7 engine bay.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

i was in the same situation as u. ur doing the right thing by installing things now. i have been told that it is possible to do a cam swap w/ the engine in the FC, but definitely easier when its out.

if ur using stock manifolds, u should choose a cam w/ more exhaust bias. something like a 224/230, .581/.592 111+1 XE-R was suggested to me by a mod in the internal section.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

put in some katech upgrade rod bolts while its out

Quick Reply: Mods before dropping in the motor?