Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PCV Turbo Venting!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV Turbo Venting!

I have STS C5 Z06 and I now have my crank PCV with two check valves. One to block boost and the other to hold vacuum and vent, at boost. It seems to be working OK, but, I haven't heard of anyone else doing this way? Comments?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running a similar setup. The port on the throttle body to valve cover is blocked off. A one way check valve on the intake manifold lets vacumm suck through the PCV, while not boosting. The Single port on the pass side valve cover, front, leads to a Summit Racing Catch can. The two ports on the back of the heads are hooked up to the PCV, with a "t" fitting leading to another check valve that under vacuum is closed allowing the PCV to operate normal. While boosting the valve opens and "t"'s back into the line going to the catch can. Man that was hard to describe a picture would be worth a lot but my digital camer's batteries are dead . With this set up, without boost its just like stock. Seems to be running great, no oil comming out of anywhere, and no dip stick popping up
Old 10-06-2006, 10:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rosulekg
the other to hold vacuum and vent, at boost.
How is this one hooked up? I have only one check valve to block boost on the pcv line. Am I missing something?
Old 10-07-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

With just one check valve, on the PCV line you are only blocking intake maniold boost from building up in the crankcase. With the second check valve you can vent the crankcase to atmosphere under boost. The crankcase will build up its own pressure even without the intake boost pressure getting in there. It acts kind of like a breather filter that only works under boost
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Teching In

i had the same problem with my car when making boost far as crankcase pressure then i followed the same setup -plus at the time i was only making 465hp at the wheels when i vented the pressure and put back on the dyno with no tuning it made 524hp at the wheels , jus by doing that i was telling everyone
Old 10-07-2006, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default Good Mod!

I hadn't heard of anyone doing the second check valve, so great your out there. It's really the hot ticket for the STS Turbo setup since the turbo is so far back.

I also have a ram air kind of setup under the car which is filtered, draws on both of my PVC lines, and gathers oil.

Also on my crank PCV I have a large 3/4" nylon hose "T" (catch can) with 1/2"NPTx3/8" hose nipples screwed in to help keep the oil out during vacuum.

I have been screwing around with this for months. It's a good thing the car isn't really all that sensitive to the PCV system setup at lower boost!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002ws-6
I'm running a similar setup. The port on the throttle body to valve cover is blocked off. A one way check valve on the intake manifold lets vacumm suck through the PCV, while not boosting. The Single port on the pass side valve cover, front, leads to a Summit Racing Catch can. The two ports on the back of the heads are hooked up to the PCV, with a "t" fitting leading to another check valve that under vacuum is closed allowing the PCV to operate normal. While boosting the valve opens and "t"'s back into the line going to the catch can. Man that was hard to describe a picture would be worth a lot but my digital camer's batteries are dead . With this set up, without boost its just like stock. Seems to be running great, no oil comming out of anywhere, and no dip stick popping up
Do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 01-06-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea...

I wanna see some pics of this setup then....
Old 01-06-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

heres some pics. Now under boost this is not pulling crankcase gasses out of the block. It is letting the gasses come out through all three ports to atmosphere! If I had a front mount or supercharger you could run the line running to the catch can to the intake side of the turbo or supercharger and it would be positive crankcase venting while boosting. oh yeah the stock pcv vavle is still in there its buried under some hoses

The port on the throttle body has been blocked off

Old 01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

I've been thinking alot about PCV setups lately too. I like the idea of using two check valves. I sketched out a couple simple drawings in paintbrush to illustrate my idea.

The first drawing is how 2002ws-6 set his PCV up, I think. If I have something drawn wrong let me know. I like the idea, but if one of the VC vents is always open to the catch can wouldn't that allow the the intake manifold to see atmosphere through the catch can breather, through the front vent, through the crank case, then through the PCV line?

The second drawing is what I though up, I haven't tested it on the car yet, still waiting on a few more turbo parts. If one of the check valves is moved to the line going to the catch can, this would eliminate any possibility of air bypassing the MAS & TB. It also allows normal operation under Manifold Vacuum, and crank case venting from all 3 ports under manifold pressure.

Comments? Thoughts?

ws-6 would you might looking over my remote mount parts list thread? Any insight would be appreciated.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/635769-rear-mount-parts-list-am-i-missing-anything.html
Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

the pass side front port used to be hooked up in front of the throttle body. On a stock car this was there to alow filtered air from just in front of the throttle body to go throught the crankcase. If all you did was pull a vacuum on the crankcase with out letting air back in you would end up sucking in a gasket or seal, or stall the motor out. (Which I did the later) Once you go boosted this port will push boost right into the crankcase. That is why eveybody blocks it off. The port on the side of the manifold goes to the PCV valve and should block boost from entering the crankcase, but doesn't do a great job at it. Tjat is Why My check valve is between the manifold and the PCV Valve. The PCV Valve is meant to control how much sucking through is done not to block boost! So I'm running that line straight to a filtered air source same as stock well kind of
Old 01-06-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

looking at your second pic, it would not be good, I tried it. it stalled the motor out. fresh air has to come in somewhere.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2002ws-6
looking at your second pic, it would not be good, I tried it. it stalled the motor out. fresh air has to come in somewhere.
Ahh. Cool. I'll just be glad when I get everyhting put together and actually able to experiment with this stuff.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do you guys get these check valves at? Thanks
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
Where do you guys get these check valves at? Thanks
I'm trying to figure out the where to get these as well. I see summit has check valves for fuel maybe they will work?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will the fuel check valves work??
Old 01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All I have is a breather on the oil fill, and small Kand N filters on the end of the valve cover vac lines. Am I missing something as to why you all go through the nice stuuf shown above? I dont push any oil though..just clean the filters every month or two.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

PCV Positive crankcase ventilation. Positive is where something is pulling crankcase gasses out. Your pushing crancase gasses out, not as eficient. Nice stuff where?
summit catch can 20 bucks 2 check valves laying around the shop and a few clamps and hoses $10.00. NOw when I'm boosting mine is just like yours, but part throttle and idle I"m just like Stock
Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im not putting it down..I love the engineering you have put into it...as basic as it is. I was serious..as in...Am I missing out on anything?? Ok..so mines not "positive" anymore perhaps...does that matter in any case other than emissions?? Whats it do for me?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 AM
9 Second Club

pcv helps ring seal at p/t and maybe gives you a tick better gas mileage.

Quick Reply: PCV Turbo Venting!